PDA

View Full Version : Problem with booting CD, Not in Docs

mastercheif
06-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi,

I have a packard bell computer running Windows XP home edition.

I downloaded Knoppix version 3.4 and burned it onto CD. I then went into Bios and changed the order which the computer boots from to.

1) CD/DVD Rom
2) Floppy
3) HD

But when it boots, it does not read the cd in the drive and just continues and boots from the HD.

I was wondering what I had done wrong, and if not how you create a boot disk, and if this would help.

Many Thanks

P.S. When I downloaded there was only one file. Is this correct or am I missing some.

eco2geek
06-19-2004, 07:35 PM
P.S. When I downloaded there was only one file. Is this correct or am I missing some.

On the CD you burned, when you look at it in Windows' File Dama^H^H^H^HManager, do you see these files/directories:

boot\
KNOPPIX\
LinuxTag\
Talks\
autorun.bat
autorun.inf
...etc...

or do you just see one file, "KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso"?

mastercheif
06-20-2004, 12:11 PM
All I see is KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso

Is this correct?

P.S. Thanks for the reply.

softwaretester
06-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Your CD burning program should have a 'burn image' option, which will take the .iso file and make a cd out of it.

Ie.. under Nero, you have to exit the wizard, and then click on File.. then BurnImage.

mastercheif
06-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Should it work after I do this or will I still need to make boot disks?

P.S. Thanks for the reply

eco2geek
06-21-2004, 12:48 AM
If your computer can boot off of the CD drive (it's a BIOS setting; do you know how to change your boot order in the BIOS?), then you won't have to make boot floppies. Just set it to boot from CD, make sure the Knoppix CD's in the drive, and off you go.