PDA

View Full Version : help needed

ryansanders2002
06-19-2004, 04:26 PM
ok this is my first time using linux and I'm having a little trouble.

I run the 2.6 kernal so i can try to write to my NTFS drive. When ever I try to place a file there, it tells me there was an error writing to that drive. How can i make this work.

Second, Persistent Home. I created one on my other linux partition as an image. I didn't use the encryption thing. When i startup and try to access it, I am told it can not load it then I am asked for passwords and stuff. How can I fix this. (P.S I would rather store it on my NTFS drive as my linux one is kind of currupted.)

Thanks,
Ryan

eco2geek
06-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Linux can read from NTFS partitions, but it can't write to NTFS partitions safely -- you run the strong risk of corrupting your data if you try it. (The version of the kernel you select won't affect this.)

You can install the "Captive NTFS" drivers (from the KNOPPIX menu) to get read/write access to your NTFS partition, but, as Captive has to be (re)started after Knoppix boots (plus it's kind of flaky in practice), it doesn't mean you'll be able to load your persistent home from your NTFS partition.

Your best bet would probably be to back up the data from, then reformat, your Linux partition.