PDA

View Full Version : Brand new... got a command prompt... now what?

Virulent
06-19-2004, 09:59 PM
hello all. I just burned knoppix v3.4.iso to a cd... When i go to boot off cd.. it seems to be checking a bunch of things... and then i get a type of command prompt....which i am guessing is coming from my cd-rom.Is there something I should be typing here to actually load knoppix... i am very new at this and would appreciate anything. :D

DuckDodgers
06-20-2004, 02:03 PM
If it is the boot prompt you are seeing, just hit the enter key.

Virulent
06-21-2004, 03:58 AM
i don't believe it is the boot prompt i am seeing. it is something called "{DR-DOS} by Caldera" <<<<<<<that is what i get when i boot. The prompt looks similar to this... "{DR-DOS}a:\" I tried just hitting enter, but to no avail. Any other hints/tips you may have???

CrashedAgain
06-21-2004, 04:29 AM
It sounds like your CD is not booting, perhaps a bad burn. Did you burn 'as an iso image', not 'as a data CD'? Do you get any indication that the computer is actually attempting to boot from CD...such as a 'booting from CD message'?
You sound get...CD drive starts...then a Knoppix logo screen appears with a boot prompt at the bottom. If you're German, just hit enter, otherwise type 'knoppix lang=<language of your choice(en or us for English)> then hit enter.

OErjan
06-21-2004, 05:58 PM
you have choosen to burn as a bootable cd.
DON*T, burn it as an image.
This is a common misstake for some reason, the ISO contains all needed info for booting... no bootoption needed whaen burning, it is NOT a data CD it is a image, the drDOS is a BAD sign, it means that the CD is using a floppyimage of drdos as the boot medium..
if you open the CD in Win you likely see the knoppix-XXXXXXX.iso file on it.

Virulent
06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
ok.. thanks all for the tips... i had a funny feeling it was something with how i burned it.. i really appreciate it and am greatful you all are so willing to help out... knoppix now works... :D