PDA

View Full Version : HDA1 won't mount

jimandjeanette
06-20-2004, 06:29 AM
I tried using Knoppix 3.4 to clean up a trojaned Windows ME installation. I have used Knoppix before, I have succesfully removed files after mounting the disk read/write (both FAT32 and NTFS).

This time, the disk (80 gigabyte) wouldn't mount -- the error message said something about an unsupported file system.

More info: I extracted the hard disk from the infected PC and installed it in a working Windows 2000 system. The disk mounted, but appeared nearly blank. Only msdos.sys, io.sys and a couple other files were present (yes, Windows 2000 was set to show all files, even hidden and system files).

Finally, I put the infected disk back in its own system, and booted that PC off an old Windows 98 startup floppy I dug up. Now, finally, I could see all the files on the hard disk (and delete the hard to remove trojan).

Anyone know why I couldn't see the contents of this FAT32 disk under Knoppix or Win2K?

Thanks, Jim

solaris
07-05-2004, 02:50 PM
I have yet to find a Linux that mounts my 120 GB disk, but I think it's my fault. Back in the Windows days I wanted to add a second drive to go along with my original 20 GB hard disk, and like a fool, made the very n00b mistake of making it all one big 120 gig partition. One of these days I will get around to repartitioning it, but I think Linux just doesn't like partitions that big--or at least, I don't know how to get them to mount them. I assume Windows sees it all, but I only have 30 gigs on it at this point.