PDA

View Full Version : Viewing and reading Windows NTFS Drives?

Chris Lee
06-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Well, I just installed Knoppix to my hd.

1. Before I installed, booting from the CD, I could see and execute certain files such as mp3, and anything that is recognized by knoppix on windows drives. But after I installed it to hd, via debian old installer way(before, I tried the knoppix cd way which still recognized the drives and files in it), files:/mnt/hda1 and hda5 is empty. They are my C and D drive for Windows. They are NTFS. I know the files are there because I still boot into windows XP. However, is there someway of getting knoppix/debian to recognize it, and have it in read only mode, so I cannot wipe any valuable information?

2. What software for debian would be great for .WMV and .WMA multimedia formats?

Thanks

champagnemojo
06-21-2004, 05:41 AM
They're there...just not mounted. If you don't want to have to manually mount them each time you reboot you can edit your fstab file...it's in the /etc directory. You can use any text editor on it...but make sure you open it as root so you have permission to change it.

find lines that look something like this:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
and this:

/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

and change the noauto to auto. They'll then mount read-only at bootup.

I know that Mplayer will play .WMV files...I'm not sure about .WMA.

eco2geek
06-21-2004, 07:40 AM
What software for debian would be great for .WMV and .WMA multimedia formats?

xine (http://xinehq.de) works great. In order to play them, according to the xine FAQ (http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq):

Can I watch Windows Media (.asf/.wmv/.wma) files using xine?

While the container format (system layer) ASF (wmv is just an alias) is fully supported in xine, for newer windows media 9 based streams you'll need to install windows binary codecs (.DLLs).

Possibly the most convenient way to get the windows DLLs is to download them from the mplayer website http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/ . The package is called "Win32 Codecpack". Unpack it and move everything you find inside to /usr/lib/win32 (actually you can place them anywhere you want, e.g. someplace in your homedirectory, but then you'll have to set codec.win32_path in your xine config file accordingly). Restart xine then and you should be able to watch windows media streams.

Works quite well. QuickTime codecs are available from the same place.

Chris Lee
06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, the auto works fine for me. But just so I know, is there any way to set off the readonly?

Also, I downloaded the codecs for Windows and Codec pack, it opens them up by ARK. What do I do with it?

An additional thing, in Windows, there is a task shutdown or known as Alt + CTRL + DEL. Is there a way to do things like that when a window in knoppix freezes and refuses to close?

Thanks.

Cuddles
06-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, the auto works fine for me. But just so I know, is there any way to set off the readonly?

To make the device "not" read-only, remove the "ro" option from the fstab file entry line...

i.e.

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
becomes

/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
and this should make the device mentioned both read and write access when mounted.

Also, I downloaded the codecs for Windows and Codec pack, it opens them up by ARK. What do I do with it?

I would guess the files were "packed" into a single file, for ease of downloading. Not knowing what the extension is on the file you are unpacking, you can try ARK to unpack it. If the file is named "something".tar, or "something".tar.gz, or "something".tar.bz2 -=- you can use tar to unpack it. From the post by Eco2Geek, it seems you are suposed to unpack the files contained in the downloaded file( s ), and then either move them to a specific location, or change a config file to point them to the location ( if you choose to place them some place other than where they suggest )

Thanks.

Your welcome, hopefully, I helped,
Ms. Cuddles

Chris Lee
06-22-2004, 03:27 AM
Alright, thanks. I got XIne to work. However, is there a solution for Control ALT Delete on Linux Debian?

also...the viewing stopped working, just now, it gave me 0 item, 0 file, 0 directories.

My fstab as follows.

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom2 /mnt/auto/cdrom2 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom3 /mnt/auto/cdrom3 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ntfs auto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

Is there anything that might cause this problem?

champagnemojo
06-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Alright, thanks. I got XIne to work. However, is there a solution for Control ALT Delete on Linux Debian?

Click the K -> go to Settings -> go to Control Center -> go to Regional & Accessibility and you'll find "Keyboard Shortcuts".

Find the shortcut for Show Taskmanager and set it to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and you'll have a taskmanager much like windows' come up. But the better way to kill a bad app is to use XKill. To enable this one find the one for "Kill Window" and make sure it's set to default (Ctrl+Alt+Esc). Now you can see what's happening with a process by clicking Ctrl+Alt+Delete, or if you press Ctrl+Alt+Esc the cursor becomes a skull and you just click on the bad program and it goes away.

As far as the fstab goes...the only thing I can think of is to ask whether or not your user name is knoppix. If it's not you should change the uid and gid to equal whatever your username is.

Chris Lee
06-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Okay, thank you, I found the problem, I just overwrite the entries with the original entries at the top, and I made the noauto change again. it works.

I was wondering, is there a way that I can make certain applications startup with knoppix?

Also, what do I do to make a shortcut of a folder/file on the desktop?

In addition, is there a way that I can configure debian to read wmp streams, on sites such as launch.yahoo.com?

Much Thanks for helping.

Cuddles
06-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I was wondering, is there a way that I can make certain applications startup with knoppix?

Shortcuts, or links, is the answer, and then placing them in the right location for the user. I am assuming that the applications are for a user, and not the system, if the system ( OS ) needs to run them - that is a different story... But, when a user logs in, specific settings are loaded for that user, like the way they like the desktop, clock, and even already running programs they had when they logged out... To get this user to activate a program when they login, you will want to create a "shortcut" in the home folder, under the folder named .kde/Autostart - open up a Konqueror window, ( the little house icon on the taskbar ), make sure you have under "View" Show Hidden Files, click on .kde folder, then click on Autostart, in this folder, right-click on the right pane, and select Create new, and then select Link to application... -=- this should allow you to enter, or browse for the application you want to create the autostart program for... ( Note: this assumption, and above example, assumes that you want to "autostart" a program for the user you are logged into at this time. )

Also, what do I do to make a shortcut of a folder/file on the desktop?

You might try the same example above, but instead of doing it inside the Konqueror window, do it on the desktop iteself... Right-click on the desktop, select Create new, if you want to link to a drive/device - select one of the ...Device selections, for folders, select one of the ...application, or the ...location (URL) choices... Then pop in the information for what you want the link to "point" to...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

scottknl
06-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Chris Lee wrote:

To make the device "not" read-only, remove the "ro" option from the fstab file entry line...

snip ...

I just thought I'd add that the ntfs support for writing to drives is dangerous. It's best to leave it as read only.

Knoppix 3.4 has captive-ntfs which provides a reliable rw option. It uses MS's own dlls to do read/write to the drives.

mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

It's a bit slow, but doesn't mess up your ntfs drives

Chris Lee
06-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Shortcuts, or links, is the answer, and then placing them in the right location for the user. I am assuming that the applications are for a user, and not the system, if the system ( OS ) needs to run them - that is a different story... But, when a user logs in, specific settings are loaded for that user, like the way they like the desktop, clock, and even already running programs they had when they logged out... To get this user to activate a program when they login, you will want to create a "shortcut" in the home folder, under the folder named .kde/Autostart - open up a Konqueror window, ( the little house icon on the taskbar ), make sure you have under "View" Show Hidden Files, click on .kde folder, then click on Autostart, in this folder, right-click on the right pane, and select Create new, and then select Link to application... -=- this should allow you to enter, or browse for the application you want to create the autostart program for... ( Note: this assumption, and above example, assumes that you want to "autostart" a program for the user you are logged into at this time. )

I tried doing the shortcut, but I do not know what to input to the fields.

"Command, Panel Embedding, Run in Terminal"

The program I want to start right after login is aMSN messenger. I execute it by gonig into "Run command" > aMSN or by konsole and typing aMSN. I am not sure what to do.

digitalsuperman
06-23-2004, 04:23 AM
hey guys...I'm a newbie in knoppix linux..I liked it so much...i have a question by the way...

can i make a application software run on my knoppix OS but the thing is, the application is installed in my windows file system or windows??can i?
can you teach me guys...
i tried to click the .exe file then opened it with WINE...but it wont work...is there any way that i get it to work???please...

Cuddles
06-23-2004, 06:06 AM

I tried doing the shortcut, but I do not know what to input to the fields.

"Command, Panel Embedding, Run in Terminal"

The program I want to start right after login is aMSN messenger. I execute it by gonig into "Run command" > aMSN or by konsole and typing aMSN. I am not sure what to do.

Chris,

you got the right idea, you are just going to need to do a little research on where the program is at...

Chances are, if you can run the program from a Run Command [prompt, you might just be able to create the "link to application" without having to enter the complete path for it.

First, try to create a "link to application" on your desktop, in the command box you have got the execute tab, just enter what you enter in the "Run Command" - if it works, simply cut the desktop shortcut and paste it to the /home/"user"/.kde/Autostart/ location in a Konqueror window...

If the above doesn't start your program, just by using the program name, you will want to search for the program on your hard drive install... Once you find the complete path and program name, simply enter that in the "execute tab -> command" box for the "link to application"

I hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

David Ormsby-Gore
07-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Try the Knoppix-based Live CD (credit-card size 50 MB) with a full range of security, antivirus, recovery, NTFS read-write, plus all the stuff to repair and recover Linux journaling file systems as wall as MSDOS FAT12, FAT13, FAT32, and of course NTFS. Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/insert/ and read about it at http://www.insert.cd/ . Good antivirus scanning, very usable desktop, tiny sized credit-card CD, fast download and easy burn.

Foobius Bahr
07-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi folks,

I had a Win XP crash and am loving Knoppix and how I can see all of my precious files in the root shell window after mounting the NTFS partition without a hitch. My problem, that I'm hoping some kind person can help with, is that I can't enter the mounted directory in applications launched from the GUI, which I want to do to get a good survey of my files, directory sizes, etc., and to get some CD-burning going on. Permissions show as having read access, but this seems to be something else. If I click on the partition from the desktop, for instance, I get "Cannot enter /mnt/win32" but if I check properties, permissions show read access for user, group, and others. If I open a picture with gimp or an mp3 with audacity from the shell prompt, I can subsequently navigate the files in the open dialog box, but if I launch the app from the GUI, I cannot enter it as if I don't have permission. Any ideas?

Grateful in advance,
Foobius