PDA

View Full Version : User-mode Linux: The solution for running own applications?

probono
03-11-2003, 06:30 PM
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

"User-Mode Linux gives you a virtual machine (...) Disk storage for the virtual machine is entirely contained inside a single file on your physical machine. "

Could that be integrated into Knoppix as an easy way to "install" and use custom applications while still booting from CD? All would be written to an USB stick/server/persistent home...

Just a thought.

aay
03-11-2003, 06:50 PM
This seems to me to be a really cool idea. Anyone know more about how to do something like this? I haven't played around with user mode linux yet.

Alextreme
03-12-2003, 12:53 AM
hmm, it's a great lkm but it doesn't do wonders ;)

but seriously, i don't think it it would fix the add-stuff-to-a-cd problem, imho it's more useful for safely allowing users to add devicedrivers and generally give more permissions, as well as easilier giving services a chroot-ed jail (security security security!). Could be wrong, have yet to dive in and exploit all its goodness :D

David Douthitt
03-12-2003, 01:55 AM
User Mode Linux is really fantastic, and can do a lot. However, the requirements of UML and the problem it would be used to solve in this case make it a bad fit for what you want to do.

UML provides a complete, subsidiary and standalone Linux environment to run at "user-level." That is, you can run a Linux environment within a Linux environment - I've had Debian Woody running under Red Hat 7 before.

It can also be thought of as a "super-jail" or "super-chroot" environment.

However, UML needs memory+swap to use as the UML RAM space - and if you want KDE, you'll need 64M just for UML - plus the 64M for the host. In truth, 128M for both is better - meaning 256M or better for both.

Plus, it will be as if you have two hosts - which means configuring the host to accept data from the UML host.

All in all, wouldn't it just be simpler to make /usr/local writable and compile applications to /usr/local?