PDA

View Full Version : save netsettings and desktopsymbols

Catscratch
06-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Hi all. :-)

OK. My english isn't so good, but I hope you understand it. ;-)

I use Knoppix and installed it on HD.
OK. It works fine.

Now my first problem.
I have a linux router (fli4l) and use it for going in the net. If I click on the nice pinguin and then on network/internet and on configurate networkcard it works.
But if I restart this configurations are lost. Means I have to configurate it every system boot.
How may I save this settings?

Now the second problem.
I right click on the desktop and chose "To slot align." (hope its the right english sentence for this) . OK now all symbols are ordered. If I reboot they are mixed. How may I save this?

Thx. Hope you understood.
Ronny

eco2geek
06-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Now my first problem.
I have a linux router (fli4l) and use it for going in the net. If I click on the nice pinguin and then on network/internet and on configurate networkcard it works.
But if I restart this configurations are lost. Means I have to configurate it every system boot.
How may I save this settings?

Too many unknown variables here to give a good answer. My guess, without knowing more, based on past posts, is that Knoppix is trying to use DHCP but you want it to use a static IP address instead. See this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10784) -- and this one, too (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19004).

Now the second problem.
I right click on the desktop and chose "To slot align." (hope its the right english sentence for this) . OK now all symbols are ordered. If I reboot they are mixed. How may I save this?

In other words, you right-click on the desktop, and choose "Icons" -> "Align to Grid," but when you restart, they're messed up.

First, make sure there isn't a file named "sorticons.desktop" in your ~/.kde/Autostart directory (you'll have to choose "View hidden files" in Konqueror to see the ".kde" directory). If it's there, delete it.

Second, start the KDE Control Center, click on "KDE Components," and click on "Session Manager." Click the radio button next to "Restore manually saved session," then click "Apply." You will then see a new K menu entry near the bottom named "Save Session." After you've positioned the icons to your satisfaction, click on "Save Session," and they should be restored the same way next time you start KDE.

Catscratch
06-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Thx 4 help. I'll test it. :-)

My I deactivate the DCHP? I want manually every time.

There was an idea with a shell script, but I don't know how to write it. Sry, I'm a linux nub and a windows kiddy. :-(

eco2geek
06-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Assuming you did a Debian-style install (i.e. none of your rcX.d directories contain a symbolic link to /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig in them), you can disable DHCP by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file and commenting out (i.e. putting a # in front of) the line that reads "iface eth0 inet dhcp".

If you did a Knoppix or Beginner-style install, which AFAIK both use /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, you'll have to read those earlier posts -- they tell you what to do. Those posts also tell you how to edit /etc/network/interfaces to use static IP addresses.

But if I understand you correctly, and you're OK with running the "Network Card Configuration" script from the Knoppix menu (that "clicking on the nice penguin" you mentioned earlier) manually, then you really don't have to do anything...since it's not working anyway, right? (Plus I'm not 100% sure this is the issue you're having; I'm just guessing.)

Catscratch
06-23-2004, 01:35 PM
THX. The network works.

Only the symbols are left.
If I click on K symbol an "save session" it's ok. But after reboot, all desktop symbols are mixed agein. :-(

eco2geek
06-24-2004, 08:29 PM
THX. The network works.

Great. (Did I actually give you some useful advice? :wink: )

Only the symbols are left.
If I click on K symbol an "save session" it's ok. But after reboot, all desktop symbols are mixed agein. :-(

Another thing to try: In the KDE Control Center, go to "Desktop," then "Behavior," then the "File Icons" tab, and enable "Automatically line up icons." See if that does what you want.

Catscratch
06-25-2004, 06:49 AM
OK. I'll get it. THX 4 all.