PDA

View Full Version : HDD install 3.4 fails

g-joey
06-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Hi,

since Knoppix is the only distribution that completely recognizes my hardware, I'd like to install it to my HDD and use it as my standard Linux system.

So I started "knx2hd" and chose a "bginner" system (I tried the other two methods as well). The installation starts, and during the copy process I get the error "file system is read-only" for several files. Also, it cannot determin my display adaptor (ATI Radeon 9500 Pro).

Even worse is the fact that LILO cannot be installed neither in the MBR ("access denied") nor in the root partition ("access denied"), so I have no possibility to boot from HDD.

A "floppy LILO" is no alternative, since my PC doesn't have an FDD :-)

Here's my HDD configuration:

/dev/hda1 10 GB, Linux -> Knoppix
/dev/hda2 1 GB, Linux -> free
/dev/hda3 1 GB, Linux Swap
/dev/hda4 105 GB, Windows XP

Any ideas what can cause the errors?

//g-joey

j.drake
06-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Almost sounds as if you are trying to install to an NTFS drive. Did you format your partitions after you created them, and if so, what file system did you use (e.g., ext2, ext3, reiser, vfat)?

g-joey
06-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Almost sounds as if you are trying to install to an NTFS drive. Did you format your partitions after you created them, and if so, what file system did you use (e.g., ext2, ext3, reiser, vfat)?

Here's what cfdisk displays:

/dev/hda1 boot primary Linux ext3 10001 MB
/dev/hda2 primary Linux ext2 1000 MB
/dev/hda3 primary Linux swap
/dev/hda4 primary NTFS

/dev/hdb1 primary SFS 200000 MB

So, to me it seems that this is ok?!

//g-joey

j.drake
06-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Well, I'll defer to someone else on that one. You blew my theory. :)

I'm wondering, though if you have too many primary partitions. :?: Don't know why that would make a difference, but I did read where Windows won't recognize >1 partition per disk, so even if you got the installer going, there's a real question about the viability of your NTFS partition.

I just got done exhausting all of my feeble knowledge of linux partitioning in another thread (linked below). Feel free to wander the links of some brighter people than me, if you think it might help.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51714#51714

jd

g-joey
06-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm wondering, though if you have too many primary partitions. :?:

Hi jd,

thanks for your suggestion. But I don't think that I have too many partitions: My Windows installation in partition 4 is working perfectly, and my previous Linux installations in partitions 1 and 2 were also running fine. Only Knoppix refuses to install...

//g-joey

mzilikazi
06-24-2004, 03:22 PM

/dev/hda1 boot primary Linux ext3 10001 MB
/dev/hda2 primary Linux ext2 1000 MB
/dev/hda3 primary Linux swap
/dev/hda4 primary NTFS

/dev/hdb1 primary SFS 200000 MB

So, to me it seems that this is ok?!

//g-joey

You don't have a big enough partition for starters.........you need at least 3G to install Knoppix to secondly why not use the knoppix-installer and try the Debian type install.

g-joey
06-25-2004, 09:14 AM
/dev/hda1 boot primary Linux ext3 10001 MBYou don't have a big enough partition for starters.........you need at least 3G to install Knoppix to
secondly why not use the knoppix-installer and try the Debian type install.

Hi mzilikazi,

I think that the 10 GB (= 10001 MB) of /dev/hda1 should be sufficient?!

And I have tried all three installation types (beginner, CD, Debian), but get the same "access denied" errors for each of them.

//g-joey

sgor
06-25-2004, 02:24 PM
I had a similar problem with knoppix-installer. The problem turned out to be that I had an external drive (actually a hard drive based mp3 player) connected to my usb port which was recognized as sda1, sda2, ..., sda4. When I rebooted with nothing connected to the usb port, the problem went away and the install succeeded.

Apparently LILO was getting confused with the presence of the other drive.

mzilikazi
06-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi mzilikazi,

I think that the 10 GB (= 10001 MB) of /dev/hda1 should be sufficient?!

And I have tried all three installation types (beginner, CD, Debian), but get the same "access denied" errors for each of them.

//g-joey

Hmmm must not have read things too carefully. :) Try launching the installer and then in another terminal issue 'mount' and see if your install partition is mounted rw. I presume you're launching the installer as root. I'm not even sure what it would do if launched as user.

g-joey
06-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I had a similar problem with knoppix-installer. The problem turned out to be that I had an external drive (actually a hard drive based mp3 player) connected to my usb port which was recognized as sda1
Well, this is something I'll have to try, because during the installation I had my USB memory stick connected and mounted...

Another thing: I just tried to install Mandrake and it worked without any problems... So I think we can forget about that partition thing :-)

//g-joey

g-joey
06-30-2004, 08:55 PM
I had a similar problem with knoppix-installer. The problem turned out to be that I had an external drive (actually a hard drive based mp3 player) connected to my usb port which was recognized as sda1Well, this is something I'll have to try, because during the installation I had my USB memory stick connected and mounted...
I tried it without any connected USB device (even disabled the USB controller), but I still had no luck :-(

//g-joey

softgun
07-03-2004, 05:38 PM
I always found this to be more reliable than the knoppix-installer which is what is run when you type knx2hd.

Why was it removed?