PDA

View Full Version : Boot Disk ???'s

Mustang64
06-21-2004, 05:04 PM
I did a HD install from the live CD version 3.3 using the Knoppix-installer Version 0.3-6 (ver 0.2-3? was on the cd). All seemed to go OK except for the LILO install - I get
L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 (etc)

When I install the "Boot Disk" that was generated as part of the HD install, I get
Operating System not Found

OK - Use a Window$ ME boot disk to reload the MBR, then reboot to the knoppix 3.3 CD and try to run LILO. Get error about modifying the lilo.conf file. Cant seem to get there from here!!!

Boot Disk still gives me
Operating System not Found.

I want to cleanup the Lilo.conf file and run lilo to reinstall on the MBR. How - in basic simple language, a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, - can I get back into my HD install so I can modify the lilo.conf and run lilo???

:? :? :?

mzilikazi
06-21-2004, 11:31 PM
1) Boot Knoppix

2) Mount the / partition for example:

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

3) chroot to the partition,

chroot /mnt/hda2

4) Edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite editor

mcedit /etc/lilo.conf

5) Rerun lilo

lilo -v

6) Exit chroot

CTRL+D

Now I assume you installed to only one partition. If you put /usr on another part then you need to mount that as well.

After you get lilo reinstalled and working do yoursef a favor and install grub. ;)

Mustang64
06-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the help on Lilo - now I need to look into GRUB... :wink:

mzilikazi
06-23-2004, 04:53 AM
apt-get install grub grub-doc
update-grub
reboot

Then I would suggest having a look at /boot/grub/menu.lst just to familiarize yourself. When you install a new kernel w/ a properly configured grub or when you run 'update-grub' then that file is automatically updated.