PDA

View Full Version : Connect to Internet, but, goes nowhere

bmorlan
06-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Hello,

I am fairly new to linux, and very new to knoppix. I did a hd install and love it. I have an external conexant modem, I hooked it up last night, and everything worked perfectly. My mom went to connect this morning (she is visiting, and is impressed with knoppix) and it connected. She went into her yahoo mail, clicked on a message, and a window came up and asked her to save the link or open it in XMMS (she didn't know what XMMS was) but, she opened it using xmms. It freaked her out because nothing was happening, then decided to close the window. She then tried to go back online. This is where I came in, she told me what happened, I rebooted the computer, and logged back online, it connected just fine. Now, I can't go anywhere on the internet, no ping, no webpages, no email. What happened and how do I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Brad

tearinghairout
06-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Hmmm... Interesting problem.
I think you basically need to go back and start diagnosing the problem from the lower levels up.
Firstly, what is the output of attempting to ping an external host?

bmorlan
06-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Hello,

Hmmm... Interesting problem.
I think you basically need to go back and start diagnosing the problem from the lower levels up.
Firstly, what is the output of attempting to ping an external host?

I started completely over. When I would try to ping an address (both IP and website.name.com) It just sat there, when I finally hit ctrl-z to stop it pinging, of course, it was 100% packet loss, but there was nothing saying it couldn't resolve the host or anything. So.......

I got frustrated, luckily, I didn't have much on the hard drive anyway, so, I reformatted it and started over. :) Now, it works just fine, no problems at all, I even got a few programs back that I wanted to keep that when I used the kpackage program to update the system, got rid of.

All is well in Knoppix Land! :)

Brad