PDA

View Full Version : change permissions

tony177
06-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Where do you go to change permissions for the files. I want to delete files from the hard drives, but can't cause I'm only allowed to read from them.

champagnemojo
06-22-2004, 08:58 PM
You need to change the mode from ro to rw. If you right-click on the desktop icon for the drive or partition you're trying to alter and go into Actions, it has an option to change read/write mode. Be careful though. Keep in mind that you shouldn't try to write to an NTFS drive without using captive.

tony177
06-22-2004, 09:07 PM
When you first load knoppix, are you automatically listed as the administrator? Or do you have to make include ur self as the admin?

tony177
06-22-2004, 09:09 PM
By the way, I'm am loading knoppix from the cd. Does this make a difference with the permissions?

champagnemojo
06-22-2004, 10:40 PM
When you first load knoppix, are you automatically listed as the administrator? Or do you have to make include ur self as the admin?

You're logged in as the regular user, not the admin (root). If you just want to delete some files on it you can try:

sudo mount -o remount,rw,uid=knoppix /mnt/hda1

the hda1 might be something different...depends on what drive and partition you're wanting to work on. But in case your using Windows XP...please bear in mind that I don't think deleting from NTFS is considered safe.