PDA

View Full Version : Sound please help!

jhendrix86
06-23-2004, 04:02 AM
Hi, I have a SoundBlaster Live! soundcard. I've been reading up on this incompatibility problem w/knoppix or whatever. I've tried doing the alsa stuff and nothing seems to work. However, I loaded up Knoppix regularily and it recognized my sound card. I then went to the aumixer and the KMix and made sure everything was up. I then went to XMMS and tried to play an MP3. The funny thing was that if i put my ear up to the speaker, i could faintly hear music, but i couldn't get it any louder. Now, I also have one of those Microsoft Keyboards w/volume control on it....it's like the main volume control (control on speakers don't really control it). The keyboard loads up fine, but i can't change the volume thru the keyboard, except for the support for the buttons.

How can i fix this so i can just listen to my tunes?????

Thanks to any help I can get

mzilikazi
06-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi, I have a SoundBlaster Live! soundcard. I've been reading up on this incompatibility problem w/knoppix or whatever.

Incompatibility?

I've tried doing the alsa stuff and nothing seems to work.

Alsa stuff? This make no sense. Usually people boot with the alsa cheat code. If that's what you mean then please say so.

Cuddles
06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi, I have a SoundBlaster Live! soundcard. I've been reading up on this incompatibility problem w/knoppix or whatever. I've tried doing the alsa stuff and nothing seems to work. However, I loaded up Knoppix regularily and it recognized my sound card. I then went to the aumixer and the KMix and made sure everything was up. I then went to XMMS and tried to play an MP3. The funny thing was that if i put my ear up to the speaker, i could faintly hear music, but i couldn't get it any louder. Now, I also have one of those Microsoft Keyboards w/volume control on it....it's like the main volume control (control on speakers don't really control it). The keyboard loads up fine, but i can't change the volume thru the keyboard, except for the support for the buttons.

How can i fix this so i can just listen to my tunes?????

Thanks to any help I can get

Not sure about this, but, I'll give it a try...

Hi, I have a SoundBlaster Live! soundcard. I've been reading up on this incompatibility problem w/knoppix or whatever. I've tried doing the alsa stuff and nothing seems to work. However, I loaded up Knoppix regularily and it recognized my sound card. I then went to the aumixer and the KMix and made sure everything was up. I then went to XMMS and tried to play an MP3. The funny thing was that if i put my ear up to the speaker, i could faintly hear music, but i couldn't get it any louder.

As mzilikazi said, incompatibility? -=- With your sound card, the version of Knoppix you have, or the "whatever" ???

Doing "alsa stuff", with the live CD is almost ALWAYS done using the alsa cheatcode on the boot: prompt... About this "nothing seems to work", do you get error messages, or just no sound, more information on what you are doing, and what error messages you get, will help anyone in helping you get a resolution...

Good to hear that it recognizes your sound card... But, when, as far as I know, using alsa usually should require that you use the alsa mixer as well - not the OSS mixers - can you run alsamixer and ensure that you have your volume settings no more than 75%, and that they are "un-muted"... The statement that you can hear "faintly" sound coming out of your speakers, tends to make me feel that some sound volume is either not un-muted, or you are getting channel "cross-talk" from a line that is picking the "real" volume channel from. This theory is further supported by the fact that you state you can't make it any louder.

Now, I also have one of those Microsoft Keyboards w/volume control on it....it's like the main volume control (control on speakers don't really control it). The keyboard loads up fine, but i can't change the volume thru the keyboard, except for the support for the buttons.

I, also, have a M$ Natural Keyboard, with a slew of "extra" buttons along the top of the keyboard - most are for WEB usage, and a few for "volume control" Windows "applets", plus a few more for "Media Player" or "CD Player" Windows "applets" - NOTE the wording - Windows Applets. When you got your keyboard, you needed to install a Windows install program that ran in your system tray in Windows, that translated the keys on your keyboard, which is not a standard 101 or 102 keyboard, into "known" signals that this "system tray" application knew how to decode and act upon them. I have yet to get my keyboard to be "recognized" by these "special" keys in Knoppix, under any keyboard "overlay". I figure the main reason for this inability is becuase of the "support" program that came with the keyboard in the first place. If you don't have the "support" program running, the operating system has no clue what, or even how, these keys represent, and thus, can not do anything with them.

My best suggestion, and here is the kicker, go back to the manufacturer of your keyboard, and see if they have this "support" program for Linux... ( either M$ or Logitech, depending on your manufacturer of your keyboard ) -=- I gave up on M$, and just live with extra keys that don't do anything...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles