PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix installer from root shell, or knx2hd from boot?

xaviers2002
06-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Which one is the best way to install knoppix into my hardrive?
Thank You.

eco2geek
06-25-2004, 01:53 AM
/usr/sbin/knx2hd is just a symbolic link to /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer. In other words, they're one and the same script. At least in Knoppix v3.4.

You need to be using some window manager (not necessarily KDE, I guess) when you run it, because 1) it presents you with a graphical user interface; and 2) it runs a KDE-based program, QTParted, to partition your hard drive(s). In other words, it needs X Windows to run.

So, you will need to run it from a bash prompt in a shell in a window manager (like KDE) as root.

mzilikazi
06-25-2004, 07:55 AM
2) it runs a KDE-based program, QTParted, to partition your hard drive(s). In other words, it needs X Windows to run.

Actually it does not need X to run. You may execute it from run level 2. It will then fire up cfdisk instead of qtparted. :)

I would suggest choosing the 'Debian' type install.

eco2geek
06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Actually it does not need X to run. You may execute it from run level 2. It will then fire up cfdisk instead of qtparted.

Aha. :!: Learn something new every day.

Will cfdisk format partitions in ext3? Or do you have to use something like "mke2fs -j /dev/hdX" after using cfdisk?

markb
06-25-2004, 01:12 PM
I would suggest choosing the 'Debian' type install.

Why? Can somebody please point me to somewhere documenting the difference between these knoppix-installer types? Also, how do you customise the assignment of partitions for the installer?

xaviers2002
06-25-2004, 04:14 PM
"Can somebody please point me to somewhere documenting the difference between these knoppix-installer types?"

Even for me this will be very helpfull! Thanks :wink:

Markus
06-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Here's some explanations about them: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller
And here's a discussion about the subject: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11514

mzilikazi
06-25-2004, 10:16 PM
[quote=mzilikazi]
Will cfdisk format partitions in ext3? Or do you have to use something like "mke2fs -j /dev/hdX" after using cfdisk?

That's correct you would need to format the partitions yourself as cfdisk has no capacity for formatting only marking partition types.

xaviers2002
06-26-2004, 06:30 PM
X mzilikazi:

Could You tell me more on this? What exactly I have to do? It seems that qtparted would do the job, right?

Thanks

xaviers2002
06-26-2004, 08:09 PM
So, in my case, since I have an hardrive with windows xp and I would like a dual boot I can use qtparted only. Once qtparted will do the partition I have to click on commit to format the hardrive with a linux ext3 or reiser. Once the drive is parted I will open a root shell, then type knoppix-installer and the program will ask what type of installation I would like: debian-style, knoppix-style or beginer.
Than the program will install the knoppix, correct?
I hope I am in the right direction.
What it is not clear is what type of partition is the fastest one!?
Thanks

mzilikazi
06-27-2004, 03:09 PM
So, in my case, since I have an hardrive with windows xp and I would like a dual boot I can use qtparted only. Once qtparted will do the partition I have to click on commit to format the hardrive with a linux ext3 or reiser.

If you need to resize a partitoin then yes use qtparted. You can launch it from a shell as root like so:

sudo qtparted

Once the drive is parted I will open a root shell, then type knoppix-installer and the program will ask what type of installation I would like: debian-style, knoppix-style or beginer.

I guess that's really a personal preference. I use Debian type.

Than the program will install the knoppix, correct?
I hope I am in the right direction.
What it is not clear is what type of partition is the fastest one!?
Thanks

Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however.

xaviers2002
06-27-2004, 05:45 PM
"Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however."

What exactly is XFS? Could You give more informations on the issues You had with reiser?

champagnemojo
06-27-2004, 09:14 PM
"Again this is largely a presonal preference. I use ext3 as I have no use for xfs and reiser has some 'issues' yet. Let's put it like this, ext3 has always worked flawlessly and reiser has thrown me a few curveballs. Reiser works fine for alot of people however."

What exactly is XFS? Could You give more informations on the issues You had with reiser?

I've been using reiserfs for a while, and have never had any problems. It's a personal preference, like he says, but don't be afraid to use it. I find it to be slightly faster (very slightly though). On the other hand I think there's a program to access ext3 partitions within windows.

I don't think XFS is an option anymore. It's not a choice in the latest knoppix-installer script. I don't think many people ever used it anyways. So you'll choose either ext2 (no journalling, not a good idea) or ext3 or reiserfs.

softgun
07-03-2004, 05:31 PM
mzilikazi said that we can start the installer from knoppix 2. Is it possible to install to start icewm instead of KDE?

Isn't the old knxhdinstall no longer available?

xaviers2002
07-09-2004, 12:29 AM
That is correct! knxhdinstall is not longer available on knoppix 3.4! KNX2HD is the new command
Usually I format the HD first with qtparted and then I will open a root shell and type KNX2HD!