PDA

View Full Version : Is "clean-up" necessary in hdd install v3.4?

Cuddles
06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
As the subject suggests,

I am migrating from Knoppix v3.3 over to v3.4, and, if I recall correctly, I had to go through a whole lot of "apt-get remove" junk that came along with the hdd install of v3.3, is this still an issue with the install of v3.4? Is the same "junk" I did in v3.3 the same in v3.4?

I still have a whole long list of "junk" that I removed from v3.3, and can do the same after v3.4 gets installed, is there more I need to worry about, or less, or whatever?

Thanks for any, and all, responses,
Ms. Cuddles

champagnemojo
06-23-2004, 10:12 PM
That depends on what you removed. :wink:

You can always check the list (http://www.knoppix.net/knoppix-3.4/packages.txt) of what comes with v3.4.

CrashedAgain
06-23-2004, 11:29 PM
As the subject suggests,

I am migrating from Knoppix v3.3 over to v3.4, and, if I recall correctly, I had to go through a whole lot of "apt-get remove" junk that came along with the hdd install of v3.3, is this still an issue with the install of v3.4? Is the same "junk" I did in v3.3 the same in v3.4?

I still have a whole long list of "junk" that I removed from v3.3, and can do the same after v3.4 gets installed, is there more I need to worry about, or less, or whatever?

Thanks for any, and all, responses,
Ms. Cuddles

Just like at the yard sales, one person's junk is another's treasure!

I've found that there is always a lot of apps in Knoppix that are candidates to remove. Haven't tried 3.4 yet but I'm sure it will be true of it too. I have made up a 'PurgeList' file so I can just do 'apt-get remove `cat PurgeList` to do it all at once. PurgeList file works best as a space separated text list.

gowator
06-28-2004, 10:42 AM
do you mean like the liveCD hangovers here ??

sysVinit etc. or do you mean packages....

The live hangovers are a pain (my last several installs have been kanotix not knoppix becuase of this)... but it would be nice to know the state of play and what cleaning needs to be done to get to a standard debian install.

Cuddles
06-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Lets see if I can remember some of the "stuff"...

Extra languages that I would never use, extra alternatives other than XFree86, JOE ( sheesh, that one was the cause of many blow-ups in apt-get! ), extra locales, and then you get into the extra packages that don't apply to my system - no network card, no pcmcia, no need for a Windows Server, no file server, no web server, etc... etc... etc...

I am a "pack-rat" when it comes to information I have attained previously, the list of "stuff" is still resedent on my system, from the last install, and will be applied to the new install. Apt-get upgrade's are long enough on a 56k dial-up, I don't need to make them any longer by upgrading stuff I don't need, or use, as someone "delicately" put it when I was compilng the list back in v3.3

Just some information,
Ms. Cuddles