PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.4 on Dell Inspiron 8600: Wireless not detected

RMSe17
06-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi, the HDD on my 8600 got fried, and so I turned to Knoppix for the termporary OS until they send me a hard drive that works.. anyway, Knoppix does not detect my wireless mini-pci adapter. I believe it is broadcom... Any idea on what I need to get, and how to get it to work? (keep in mind, no hard drive here, so if this could be some automated script or something that could be placed on the Knoppix CD, it would be really nice)

Thanks!

PS I am Windows user, dont know anything about drivers or hardware detection or installaltion in Linux, so if there is some.. erm... step by step procedure, or a how to guide, would be really nice as well, cause apart from using KDE, and compiling programs with GCC for my class, I dont know how anyhting runs.

mike1
07-09-2004, 06:03 AM
I also have a dell inspiron 8600 that won't detect the wireless nic.
According to the utility in XP...
Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Adapter
Chipset BCM4306/BCM2050

It's an a/b/g nic built in.
Dell didn't have a linux driver to download for it.

After doing a little searching....
I ran wlcardconfig, did not detect the wireless card.
I ran lspci and came back with..
0000:02:03.0 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 03)
I ran lscpi -n and came back with..
0000:02:03.0 Class 0280: 14e4:4324 (rev 03)

From this link http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10942&highlight=broadcom
I guess my next step would be to look at ndiswrapper.
Any suggestions?

thanks
Mike

RMSe17
07-11-2004, 03:58 AM
Ok, well by now I got my new hard drive in, and I am back up and running with WinXP :)
Still, I am toying around with an idea of dual boot, except there is still the issue of wireless not working.. From what I read, I need ndiswrapper, and I tried that out with Knoppix, but ran into 2 problems, first of, there was an error making a directory after compilation, no idea why and where it wanted to make it, and why it failed... Second problem is that the laptop driver (Dell TM1400) is 17Mb of files, and around 4 .inf's, which one do I use?!

But first step I guess is to get the thing to compile without directory creation errors? Do these files have to be in some special place?

RMSe17
07-11-2004, 04:42 AM
Oo found how to copy paste off the Konsole :):):)

Here is the error it spits out at me:

make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda1/ndis/driver'
ld -r -o ndiswrapper.o wrapper.o iw_ndis.o loader.o ntoskernel.o ndis.o misc_funcs.o proc.o divdi3.o hal.o
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.26/misc
mkdir: cannot create directory `/lib/modules/2.4.26/misc': Read-only file system
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda1/ndis/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2

So what do I do?