PDA

View Full Version : Mounting drives

Jackk5
03-12-2003, 02:46 AM
I have just done a HD install and everything is fine except my floppy and cdrom drives are not mounted. Is there a command to mount them, I'm Linux challenged - for the time being anyway.

Jack

mmaki
03-12-2003, 05:14 AM
Floppy and cdrom are not mounted because Knoppix mounts them in the root "/" directory. You will see them there. Also look at your /etc/fstab file. It will show where and how they are mounted. i.e.:

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

Because of the "noauto" option in the fsab file they are not automatically mounted on boot. Remove the "noauto" option to make them available.

The "Floppy disk" icon on the desktop points to the wrong mount point. Change its properties to reflect /floppy or change the mount point in fstab to /mnt/floppy.

To mount from the command line:
mount /dev/cdrom /your/mount/point
and
mount /dev/fd0 /your/mount/point

Good Luck!

Mike

Jackk5
03-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks,
That worked - had to remember how to use 'vi'
Any ideas how to mount the windows partition, I tried the same line in fstab as when Knoppix is running from the CD, but I get a /hda1 does not exist.

qa1433
03-12-2003, 08:45 PM
mmaki

1.) open a console
3)type “su” to get superuser, and enter the password when requested
4)type “mkdir win” to create the directory “win”.

5)still as superuser, type “kedit” or "vi "
6)open /etc/fstab in “kedit” or "vi "
7)at the end of the file create a new line that looks like the following:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win vfat defaults,exec,umask=000 0 0
(Note that hda1 is assuming that Windows is located on the first partition of the first hard drive on the first ide controller on your system)
8)save the file and exit

9)reboot your computer

You should now be mounted to your windows hard disk (also writable!).
Enjoy!
paul icon_lol.gif icon_cool.gif

Jackk5
03-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Thanks again

Jackk5
03-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Back again,
How do I change permissions on the windows drive so I can write to it. I saved an email attachment to a directory in /home/knoppix, but get a "Could not change permissions for
/mnt/win/Temp/designchanges.dwg" when I try to copy it to the windows directory. This was using drag and drop. Tried to do it from a command window (user and as root), but get a directory doesn't exist when doing a cd /Downlaod.

RockMumbles
03-13-2003, 11:52 PM
I've had problems writing to my windows (vfat) partitions unless I'm root. There are some ways around this, what version of windows are you using? What windows filesystem?

rock

Jackk5
03-14-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm using Win 98 on this machine.
The funny part is that when I look at the win box - either in linux or windows the file is there.

Jackk5
03-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Forgot the file system is fat32