PDA

View Full Version : sound only with xine

Xwrapper3
06-24-2004, 03:33 AM
hi

i'm new to the board and hope to learn alot. that being said, i have an abit board with the onboard nvidia soundstorm audio. in the control center i get sound when i click the test button, but not the midi test button. cd audio won't play in any of the audio programs installed with the knoppix distro(hdd installed) but will play with the xine program only. i ran the soundcard config program(the one that warns you about running in x window) and it recognized the sound chip but stated that it wasn't supported. but i do get sound with xine. any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

kelmo
06-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Your best bet is to see if your chipset is supported by ALSA. Search for the 'ALSA MATRIX' website for a starting point. But setting up alsa on knoppix is difficult for many ...

Xwrapper3
06-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Update!

Thanks for your reply kelmo. Its seems that my issue is only with cd's. I realized this after downloading some Mp3's. I have an idea to why it may not be playing cd audio. I don't have the audio wire connecting my cd-rom drive to my motherboard. Windows will still play cd audio in this configuration but it seems that linux doesn't. Am I right? Thanx for the help.

cintra
06-28-2004, 06:31 AM
Update!

Thanks for your reply kelmo. Its seems that my issue is only with cd's. I realized this after downloading some Mp3's. I have an idea to why it may not be playing cd audio. I don't have the audio wire connecting my cd-rom drive to my motherboard. Windows will still play cd audio in this configuration but it seems that linux doesn't. Am I right? Thanx for the help.

Hei

Try Kaffeine, I think you'll find it plays CDs ok without the cable..

regards

aay
06-28-2004, 07:03 PM
You may have already tried this, but I've noticed that the CD volume is often turned down to it's lowest setting in Knoppix. Run Kmix and check the CD volume level - NOT the master volume.