PDA

View Full Version : Not a phantom printer, after all. But...

stuart_b
06-24-2004, 05:46 PM
...weird anyway. Okay, I installed Knoppix to hard drive on three systems, testing my new remaster, and I set up a network printer with CUPS and Webmin. What's funny is that in the two I have in the same subnet I can see the default printer on one machine on the other. That is, once I set up printing on one machine, when I installed Linux on the other one and used Webmin to start CUPS, the first PC's printer appeared on it, even though I had done nothing to share it. I initially wondered where the printer came from, till I realized the IP used as part of the printer's name was that of the other system.

This is kind of cool, but actually a problem, since I eventually want to use this configuration as a printserver using Samba. And I don't really want printers to appear on it suddenly if I configure printing on other Linux boxes.

Oddly, I don't see this on the RedHat system currently Samba print server, or the Fedora box a co-worker just installed. Neither do they show the printers installed on the Knoppix systems, nor do the printers installed on them (ten on the print server) show up on the Knoppix boxes.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know how to turn it off?