PDA

View Full Version : cannot find ethernet

beachbumtroy
03-12-2003, 06:13 AM
[b]now keep in mind im new at this!!!!!! but i just burned knoppix onto cd and booted with no problem,but it will not find or reconize my dsl modem,and i dont know how to make it do so,any help would be greatly appreciated.... i have xp home,1-gig of ram, realtek rt8139fast ethernet card,amd athalon 1600..thnx beachbumtroy

FelixDzerzhinsky
03-12-2003, 11:31 AM
I have the same problem when using the cd.

I have installed to hard drive. If you are installed on the hard drive, as su you have to type:

mii-tool -F 10baseT-HD eth0

Then for the first time you run pppoeconf. Follow the instructions for pppoeconf as per your isp.

The only problem I have is that you have to be su and run mii-tool every time followed by pon. I have tried to find a way around this.

Is there a way to use mii-tool on the cd? Is there a cheat code?

Frits Plotseling
03-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Hi All,
I am trying to get cable-internet without succes sofar. Unfortunately Windows 98 doesn't report any conflicts.
But...when I tried to start Knoppix, it totally froze in the startup stage were hardware testing is being carried out.
That was strange because Knoppix worked fine sofar.
I tried several possibilities to convince Knoppix that everything should be fine, but it just froze again and again.
Then I decided to take out my (new installed) ethernetcard, and YES, everything worked fine again.
From now on I will allways let KNOPPIX do the hardware testing.

Frits.

rickenbacherus
03-12-2003, 05:34 PM
it will not find or reconize my dsl modem,and i dont know how to make it do so,
It may be that Knoppix isn't recognising your NIC or perhaps the network isn't coming up.

Boot the disk, open a shell (terminal window) and type this:

netcardconfig

See if that helps. You can also try this at the prompt:

ifup
-that's 'interface up', it should tell you if your network is up or not. Post back with results.

beachbumtroy
03-13-2003, 04:40 AM
rickenbacherus, ur answered solved the problem now its working great now all i have to do is get it to reconize the soundcard and im all set :) thnx to all for the advice and eventhough im new at knoppix i love it! later troy

rickenbacherus
03-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Glad to be of assistance. :D

Open a term, (you may need to become root- I can't remember) and type this:

sndconfig

Post results of sndconfig if you need help.