PDA

View Full Version : Just Installed Knoppix!

naventus
06-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey! I'm a recent convert from Windows; after trying various other distros unsuccessfully (Gentoo/SusE- stupid YasT), I decided to stick with the distro that got me interested, KNOPPIX. I went with the Debian install (tried the other two also) and found that it was really fast, definetely on par with say a normal Windows install. I was really impressed by the fact that it didn't seem to carry so much luggage as the other distros I've used before did.

I just have a few questions:

1. Did most of the people here stick with Knoppix on the HD?
2. Do I treat Knoppix just like Debian?
3. Has anyone played around with WineX on Knoppix- does it run well?

Thanks!

Cuddles
06-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey! I'm a recent convert from Windows; after trying various other distros unsuccessfully (Gentoo/SusE- stupid YasT), I decided to stick with the distro that got me interested, KNOPPIX. I went with the Debian install (tried the other two also) and found that it was really fast, definetely on par with say a normal Windows install. I was really impressed by the fact that it didn't seem to carry so much luggage as the other distros I've used before did.

I just have a few questions:

1. Did most of the people here stick with Knoppix on the HD?
2. Do I treat Knoppix just like Debian?
3. Has anyone played around with WineX on Knoppix- does it run well?

Thanks!

Answers:
1 ) I came from v3.2, then v3.3, and am in a "holding" pattern for the install of v3.4 -=- so, I would say that, yes, I have come from the Live CD into a hard drive install of the same. I did the hard drive install of v3.3, v3.2 I got just before the release of 3.3, so I didn't start with the v3.2 as an install. IMHO, Knoppix is way better than anything I have seen, and thus, will continue with it till I am displeased. :D

2 ) Knoppix, once installed to the hard drive, is Debian Unstable, with what I heard, v3.2 was Debian "Sid", not sure if that is the same now with v3.4

3 ) I have run Solitaire, does that count? I also am running Avery CD Label Maker software from within Wine, which is a horendously large beast of a program. Wine, imho, is good, especially since the other choice is to dedicate a "dual-boot" to the "other" OS just to run some "Windows" programs. Wine does good for what I need it for, so far... I am sure that Wine is not as good as the "real thing", but when you are running a system completely off Knoppix/Linux/Debian, it sure comes in handy.

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

gowator
06-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Well its almost debian..it still has a few hangovers from the livecd origins (a bit like we still have a tailbone) 90% of the time you wont notice it but 10% it can be a real pain when you accidentally sit on it.

it is possible to replace everything one by one but it takes a little care. I now use kanotix for HD installs becuase it has almost no liveCd baggage once installed ...
however the first thing i now do is edit the sources for apt and remove unstable ...