PDA

View Full Version : not booting correctly from hard drive.

ih8censorship
06-26-2004, 03:55 AM
allright i went ahead and installed knoppix to my hard drive cause i want to be able to install a modem driver, and i figured it would be faster too. anyway what i did was before it booted i typed
knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 and then it copyed itself to the hard drive and then it started to a screen with a black and white checkerboard pattern and a cursor that was an x. then i tryed booting with
knoppix fromhd and got the same result and i tryed
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 and got the same result. any idea whats happening?

Cuddles
06-26-2004, 12:52 PM
ih8censorship,

No clue, but then again, I don't know what version of Knoppix you are running, are you dual-booting with another Operating System ( Like Windows, and if so, what version of Windows ), if Knoppix is on the hard drive, what format is the hard drive ( FAT, VFAT, NTFS, etc... ), ???

I appreciate the knowledge of what you typed, but more background on your system, and the Operating System (s) you are running, could also help in diagnosis of the problem...

Also, you do realize that using the tohd cheatcode simply copied the contents of the Knoppix CD to your hard drive, right? ( i.e. you did not install Knoppix on your hard drive, simply made it possible to boot without needing the CD. )

I am also not sure of this, so don't quote me, but, I think when you want to use the tohd option, I think you need a boot floppy - the boot floppy will tell the system to go to the hard drive instead of the CD-ROM ( Guru's? Am I right on this assumption? ( never did a tohd in my life ) )

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

ZeroOne
06-26-2004, 01:29 PM
acually similer problem i have cause i just want it to run without the cd how do i make the boot floppy :?

and where do i type in

knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1

??

thanks for help

edit:
if i do jsut the copy will i beable to edit the settings and save them ?

pulsar
06-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Down on the taskbar, next to the Kmenu-icon, click the penguin. Somewhere there is an option to make bootfloppies.

ih8censorship
06-27-2004, 12:43 AM
my hard drive is in the FAT32 format, i have 256mb ram, ive got 23.7 gigs of freespace left of my 37 gig hard drive umm the windows version im running is windows ME... i dont think im double booting because i never see the windows boot screen when im trying to run linux, the boot cd works fine if i just run everything off cd. yes i am aware that all the tohd did was copy it to my FAT32 partition, but the reason i wanted to do that was so i could get my modem driver in there and turn it into a linmodem. using knoppix version 3.4 2004-05-17 i dident think u needed to use the boot floppy i thought you could just use the cd and then take the cd out after it booted from the hard drive :?:

ih8censorship
06-30-2004, 02:57 AM
i managed to catch some errors while booting now, the ones i caught were something like

irq probe failedand

kmod-Failed to Exec /sbin/modeprobe/ -s -l

hope this maybey helps someone figure out whats going on.......

fingers99
06-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Well, the irq probe error looks like it can't determine the irq of something (or everything!).

Try setting your bios to non plug and play OS.