PDA

View Full Version : boot loader from a boot cd

luro95
12-18-2002, 03:11 AM
I installed KNOPPIX on separate partition. Since I did not installed lilo or grub to the mbr I start KNOPPIX on a boot floppy. I was wondering If i could boot into linux from the cd or create a bootable cd with the boot files from a boot floppy.But I don't know how. Any idea ? :roll:

mag
12-18-2002, 10:59 PM
I'm wondering why you need a bootable CD if you already have a boot floppy. If you really want a bootable CD and have a boot floppy, use your favorite CD writing program and copy the content of the floppy to the CD. It's easy to install bootloader to your Linux partition. Login as root and run /sbin/lilo and follow the prompts. After that you can create a bootloader file like this;
dd if=/dev/hdX count=1 bs=512 of=knoppix.bin. (Replace X with your specific partition letter and number, scuh as hda5) Copy output of this which is knoppix.bin to a floppy.
If you have Windows NT or 2000, add the above file to the C:\ and edit boot.ini file. C:\knoppix.bin="Knoppix Linux"
When you reboot your machine you will see a menu to choose from.

mag

luro95
12-19-2002, 02:35 AM
Ok, I just don't want install lilo or grub on my HD, and about making a cd it's just for speed up the boot process . Copy floppy files to cd and burn doesn't work I try that before, that's the reason I posted my question! :D

guest 200
12-20-2002, 01:07 AM
The docs are unclear on how to make a boot floopy.. I ran the program that it says to run, but have no idea on what to do with it.....
is there some kind of dat file I can get somewhere to boot from a floppy? In other words, don't have a clue !

eadz
12-20-2002, 10:33 AM
The docs are unclear on how to make a boot floopy.. I ran the program that it says to run, but have no idea on what to do with it.....
is there some kind of dat file I can get somewhere to boot from a floppy? In other words, don't have a clue !

The file is called boot-en.img and is in the KNOPPIX directory. If you are in windows, you can use the program rawwrite ( included on the cd )to write it. There should be a rawrite readme.

12-20-2002, 12:52 PM
Well it does not say what to so with the program.. the doc file just explains it... no more no less.....I run it and what do I type in after it? :oops:

Demon Worship
12-20-2002, 02:35 PM
I believe there is a file <mkfloppy.bat> next to <rawrite2.exe>. Run that. I think <rawrite2> is a windows program only, but not sure. You might want to copy the <rawrite2>, <mkfloppy.bat> and (boot-en.img) file to a windows machine. Edit the <mkfloppy.bat> to change the word (boot.img) to (boot-en.img) to make sure you get an English version at boot. I think the line orginal reads: rawrite2 -f boot.img -d A
the (-f) indicates the file to use <boot.img>. The (-d) chooses a drive to write to <Floppy drive A>. On Windows Nt I found it necessary to specify file images with DOS NAMES (8 characters or less) and no more than 3 character file extentions ie. (.IMG). Or <rawrite2> complains it can't find the file. I don't think it cares if the file is labeled (.IMG) or not. It just reads it and writes the contents to the Floppy as OS independent RAW data. Use a newly formatted clean Floppy to ensure results.

You can open a DOS prompt (CMD.exe) window and type:rawrite2.exe -h to see the parameter options as I shown above.

ikara
12-14-2003, 04:56 AM
I used the MTKfloppy.bat it autmatically ran to create a boot floppy.

But after trying that, it seemed to boot up with a Knoppix screen.
then it ended with a message boot failed.

I must be missing something, one or more of the automatic things to experienced users, that they never think need mention.\

I had no success with the booting from CD, I unpacked the file and copied it to disk successfully.

Was there something else I should also have done?

I am totally new to Linux, I am still useing '98SE
I have changed my BIOS to boot to CD or Floppy whichever I am trying.
I have a choice of 3 bootup selections, if the first fails it moves to the second, then third.

patelbhavesh
12-17-2003, 03:39 AM
Creating bootable CD-ROMs from a floppy image
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html

I have used these instructions in the past and was always successful in making a CD from a floppy disk image .mainly I did this because booting from CD is inherently faster then booting from a floppy.

ikara
12-26-2003, 04:51 AM
I have worked it out, my CD now works fine and the boot floppy to.

I was confused by the exact meaning in some of the terminology used in the instructions.

Not being ofay with burners and software used. I had thought that copying the ISO file would produce an image on the CD. Wrong!

Image in terms of the CD burning is not a copy.
The image referred in this case is contained within the ISO.
The software has in its menu a selection called burn image.

Simple but not obvious to newbie’s.

Different people & purposes so frequently use the same words to have their own meanings, confusing and misleading unless you are on the same wave length.

I hope this helps some other newbie out there.