PDA

View Full Version : printer problems in 3.4 but not 3.3!

drews
06-27-2004, 04:28 AM
Anybody experiencing problems with printing in knoppix 3.4 as opposed to 3.3?

I have an Epson Stylus C44UX that worked fine in 3.3 using the C42UX driver (since there was no C44UX, but they are almost identical). Now in knoppix 3.4, the printer is recognized fine but I can't get it to print anything.

I notice the driver included in knoppix is not quite the same driver either (using the gimp-print driver, not the ijs driver).

Is there a way to copy the printer driver file off 3.3.(the one that works) for me to use under 3.4? I have no idea of what directory/filename to copy.

comwiz72
06-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah I can't print to an Epson Stylus C40UX. When I try in 3.4 it acts like its printed, but in "Jobs" it says, "ABORTED". If I tell it to restart the job, it says the restart request failed. I have tried selecting all sorts of other different Epson Drivers in the Add Printer dialog, but to no avail.

The only "success" is that when I put the driver as RAW (aka no driver required) it DID print, but printed just the "command list" if you like, eg:

/OCTANT {% Draw a color wheel OCTANT...
% (name) radius r g b OCTANT -
% Loop through 100 shades...

etc etc etc.

I heard on the General Discussion forum that there are missing CUPS drivers in 3.4 that are in 3.3. Any quick fix?

drews
06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Have you tried getting the printer working in 3.3? I bet it will work.

I tried copying the ppd file from the 3.3 CD, into my home directory on 3.4, and choosing "other" when installing the printer, and it looked better (more driver options appeared) like it would work like it does in 3.3, but it still wouldnt work for me. Only works in 3.3, not 3.3.

I am wondering if support for these cups ppt files was removed from 3.4 for some reason? Please put them back into 3.4!

chada
07-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi:
The following thread (starts June 1st, '04, subject: "broken cups in Sid"), looks relevant to your (and my) frustration getting Epson printers working with Knoppix as well as with (my Win2k).

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/06/msg00057.html>

Maybe you can find something useful here. It is way beyond my skill. I'm crazy for Knoppix, only thing is I'm getting persuaded that a newbie with an unstable setup is guaranteed of always missing at least one wheel from his waggon.
HTH (and doesn't discourage),
chada

lannyl
07-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I am also having trouble printing with version 3.4. I've tried printing to Epson Stylus C80 with no success. Test page shows up briefly on the jobs list and then disappears.

Has anyone found a solution? Thanks, Lanny

ivansv
07-22-2004, 09:06 PM
i'm having the same problems with v3.3 using an epsonstylusphoto 820. tried all drivers but nothing doing. can't even print a test page w/o getting a printer error. i have it usb connected.
any idesa, thanks.