PDA

View Full Version : Printers, USB and otherwise.

kayl
06-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Okay, uncle!

I'm not a noob (I've installed/administered Red Hat, HPUX, Knoppix, etc), but I cannot get Knoppix 3.4 to print on a USB OfficeJet K60 from a Dell Dimension 4500.

I've tried different approaches with many variations. I'll present the one I think had the most likely chance of success.

I inserted a Knoppix 3.4 CD and booted default (ie just let it come up to a desktop without any intervention).

1)Close the default Konqueror app.
2)Knoppix | Configure | Configure Printers
3)Add | Add Printer/Class
4)Next
5)Local Print (parallel, serial, USB)
6)Select: USB - USB Printer 1 - HP OfficeJet K Series
7)Next
8)Manufacturer: HP
9)Model: OfficeJet K60
10) Next
11)Select ?HP OfficeJet K60 (Foomatic + hpijs) [recommended]
12)Next
13)Test (nothing prints)
14)OK
15)Next
16)Next
17)Next
18)Next
19)Name: K60
20)Next
21)Finish
22)Close
23)Open an app and attempt to print.

The print queue shows the job. Then "de-lists" it as though it had printed. The printer, however, doesn't so much as hiccup.

I also tried the Konqueror to http://localhost:631 approach. Also to no avail. Suggestions?

Is it probably USB problem (ie a parallel printer probably wouldn't have this problem) or a printer problem (ie there are issues with the K60)?

And for the record, the printer works under WinBloze.

jasonmcox
02-05-2006, 06:37 AM
I have the same problem only I am using an HP Officejet v40. I am using knoppix 4.0.2 DVD. I do not get anything not even a hiccup Unless... I notice that when i try to install the gimp-print driver it says that the driver does not exist or that i do not have the privileges to do this. Then if i hit test print it will print out a line or 2 of jibberish on the first page and then keep spitting out blank pages until i cancel it on the printer. Anyhow I am also not able to print. Can anyone help us?

freshmeadow
02-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Hello. I am in the same boat. I follow all the directions and my HP Deskjet3820 doesn't hiccup, and when I tried raw printer I got a bit of gibberish and then every blank sheet was pulled through the printer. I downloaded HPLIP printer installation instructions from HP's site and tried to follow the directions for Debian but it stopped working at the # make command in Step 3: Download and install the HP Printing Software.
Can anyone help us?

pau1knopp
05-06-2006, 05:38 PM
I have been frustrated trying to get a bevy of printers working with KNX 4.0.2, but based on forum postings it appears this has been a problem since 3.9

I am using the Knoppix configure printer menu selection to attempt to configure printers (as well as starting cupsys manually and using localhost:631) but to no avail.

I would have thought any HP Deskjet would be workable, but that is not the case (710c and 810c parallel port) nor is a Lexmark printer (Z22 usb port)

Can anyone tell us if they are able to print successfully using the 5.0 DVD that has been released?

Of course, any other suggestions regarding configuring USB or LPT printers with CUPS are greatly appreciated.

regards,

~pau1

maxIT
05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi kayl, and the others.
Your issues seems to me strictly related to the 'live cd'. I've fault running my hp-psc2210 with the cd_live_loading, but following the same kayl's steps after a regular knoppix hd-install all works properly.