PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get computer to shut down

PapaNoHair
03-12-2003, 03:54 PM
I have installed Knoppix onto my second HD and it generally runs fine, except I cannot get the computer to shut off at the end. The other OS I have (MDK 9.0 and Win2K) turn it off fine just cannot turn it off with Knoppix (have to pull the plug). Is there a "fix" for this? Thanks in advance.

rickenbacherus
03-12-2003, 08:21 PM
You could try editing your append line in /etc/lilo.conf to:

append="apm=power-off"

Don't delete anything else in there just add this in.

then rerun lilo

/sbin/lilo -v

PapaNoHair
03-13-2003, 06:15 PM

append="apm=power-off"

then rerun lilo

/sbin/lilo -v
Ok did that but still no luck.

PapaNoHair
03-13-2003, 06:21 PM

append="apm=power-off"

then rerun lilo

/sbin/lilo -v
Ok did that but still no luck.

Sorry - let me give more info: here is the partial contents of my lilo.conf file. (At the prompt I get a message telling me to delete above line six).

boot=/dev/hdc
vga=791
prompt
timeout=50
append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off noapic"
append="apm-power-off"

RockMumbles
03-13-2003, 07:02 PM
append="apm-power-off"
You don't need this line, also it should be apm=power-off and notice it's in the above line, so remove this line.

What I would do is make a copy of the original appends line and comment the original line out, the reason I like to do this is in case things are worse after your fix than before you can uncomment the old line and comment out the new line, and easily have things the way they were. Edit the appends lines so they are:

#append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off noapic"
append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off"

Make sure your editor does not wrap the appends line, remove noapic from the end of the non-commented line, rerun lilo and reboot and see if that helps.

HTH

rock