PDA

View Full Version : Removing all traces of knoppix; Switching to gnome...

leecming
06-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi,

I've converted Knoppix 3.4 to a debian hdd install on my system. However, starting up kde still shows the knoppix splash screen and there are still some knoppix related commands. Is there any way I can remove any traces of knoppix on my system.

Secondly, init 5 automatically loads up KDE... Is there any way to switch so that gnome starts up automatically?

Cardador
06-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Hi,

I've converted Knoppix 3.4 to a debian hdd install on my system. However, starting up kde still shows the knoppix splash screen and there are still some knoppix related commands. Is there any way I can remove any traces of knoppix on my system.

Secondly, init 5 automatically loads up KDE... Is there any way to switch so that gnome starts up automatically?

Changing the knoppix splash screen is easy. Just go to menu -> settings -> control center -> appearance and themes -> splash screen, and change it.

As for knoppix related commands, install synaptic (apt-get install synaptic), search for knoppix, and just uninstall everything.

To have gnome on your start up, first install it on your hard drive (apt-get install gnome, or use synaptic), then on the login screen you can change the session for gnome.

Bye!

mzilikazi
06-29-2004, 12:57 AM
There are a few knoppix specific packages that will remove critical system components if removed like sysvinit. Still tho use Synaptic, make your selections and see what it's going to remove. It won't remove anything without you giving the go-ahead.