PDA

View Full Version : HD install problems

toe_jack
06-28-2004, 10:48 PM
First of all i am a complete newbie with linux. So sorry if things take a bit more explaining with me.

I have a sony viao laptop PCG-GRT360zg
its a 3ghz p4 with 1024 ram

I got a copy of knoppix from linux world mag and decided to try it out, the only way i can get it to work is by booting using failsafe. If i use knoppix i get "unknown bus type 2" like 15 times or so then it locks up.
Now i did some reading on here and found out using "knoppix noapic" will get rid of the unknown bus error and like magic it did and i get all the way to the knoppix splash screen where it shows the 6 or so icons the first being "setting interprocess communication" then it stays saying that for about 5 minutes then it locks up again.

Now my second problem is i installed linux on my HD while under failsafe mode (not sure if i was soposed to do that) im using lilo to dual boot with hd1 being a recovery partition for windows hd2 is windows opperating system hd3 is the bulk of my hard drive used to store MPEGs (built in PVR) and HD4 is where linux is installed. When i try to boot the linux partition it looks like its working fine untill it gets to where it mounts my drives and gives me "HDA: lost interrupt".

I have no idea how to make this work either from the CD or the HD (i would prefer HD) any and all help is greatly appreciated!

CrashedAgain
07-01-2004, 06:04 AM
First of all i am a complete newbie with linux. So sorry if things take a bit more explaining with me.

I have a sony viao laptop PCG-GRT360zg
its a 3ghz p4 with 1024 ram

I got a copy of knoppix from linux world mag and decided to try it out, the only way i can get it to work is by booting using failsafe. If i use knoppix i get "unknown bus type 2" like 15 times or so then it locks up.
Now i did some reading on here and found out using "knoppix noapic" will get rid of the unknown bus error and like magic it did and i get all the way to the knoppix splash screen where it shows the 6 or so icons the first being "setting interprocess communication" then it stays saying that for about 5 minutes then it locks up again.

Now my second problem is i installed linux on my HD while under failsafe mode (not sure if i was soposed to do that) im using lilo to dual boot with hd1 being a recovery partition for windows hd2 is windows opperating system hd3 is the bulk of my hard drive used to store MPEGs (built in PVR) and HD4 is where linux is installed. When i try to boot the linux partition it looks like its working fine untill it gets to where it mounts my drives and gives me "HDA: lost interrupt".

I have no idea how to make this work either from the CD or the HD (i would prefer HD) any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Not sure if this is going to be much help.
First, try booting 'knoppix 2 noapic' which should get you operating with full HW detection but in terminal mode. If this works, try 'startx' which should try to start the X gui system & into KDE but as root.
What version of Knoppix is it? & what version of KDE?
If it's KDE 3.2, splash screen freezing up at 'setting interprocess communication' is usually caused when the command is just 'ksplash', for KDE3.2 it has to be 'ksplash --nodcop'. This command is at line 363 of '/etc/X11/xsession/45xsession'. If it reads just 'ksplash', edit it to read 'ksplash --nodcop'. From terminal, I use 'joe' as a text editor, so just type
'joe /etc/X11/xsession/45xsession', edit the file then 'ctrl K X' to save your edit.
I don't understand your HD partitions. My understanding is that Windows partitions the HD one primary partition, one extended partition then logical partitions in the extended partitions & Linux calls these hda1 for the primary then starts at hda5 & up for the rest. (but maybe I'm wrong as this is for FAT32 (win95) based partitions which maybe is not what you have).