PDA

View Full Version : Booting from a .ISO on HDD without Partitioning

furryfren
06-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi there! I'm using Knoppix for the first time and would appreciate all the help I can get! How do I boot a .ISO image of my Knoppix CD on HDD without creating a separate partition? I only have one partition with Windows XP on it, and don't want to risk losing any data as a result of partitioning. I have created a .ISO image using Roxio's Easy CD Creator and placed it on my C:\

eco2geek
07-01-2004, 08:05 AM
I have created a .ISO image using Roxio's Easy CD Creator and placed it on my C:\

Please explain what you mean by this, since Knoppix comes as an ISO image. (Hopefully, you didn't copy the contents of the ISO image to C:\.)

Anyway, if you've saved the ISO to, say, the "C:\Knoppix" directory on your sole Windows partition, you can use the cheatcode "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso" after booting your PC with the Knoppix CD (or boot floppies). You can also use wildcards to specify the file, e.g. "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix/KNOPPIX*.iso".

furryfren
07-01-2004, 12:16 PM
hey eco2, thx for the reply. Basically I created an image of the entire Knoppix CD and stored it in an ISO file. Is this the wrong way to do it? What files should I copy to my harddisk?

Anyway I formatted my computer and did a HD install on a new partition and it's worked beautifully. Still would like to know how to go about the ISO files though. Many thanks!

eco2geek
07-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Oh, now I get it, you made a duplicate of a Knoppix CD, rather than downloading the ISO. You did it just right.

I was trying to say that you can store the ISO on your NTFS partition, boot from the Knoppix CD (or bootfloppies), and tell Knoppix to use the ISO image on your hard drive using the "bootfrom=" cheatcode, specifying the path to the ISO image. The only advantage to running Knoppix that way is speed. It's much faster than using the CD. It's still read-only.

So never mind!