PDA

View Full Version : After Apt-get update and upgrade ...i get NIS errors?

ghetto_blaster
06-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Hi,

I just installed succefull apt-get updates and upgrades, but now i have problems with booting.

I typed apt-get update and it downloaded and installed succefull, then i typed apt-get upgrade and it also worked fine(downloaded about 250mb of patches/fixes).

After this i booted the system and noticed weird error message(Starting NIS services binding to YP Server....), which i cannot get over. In the black bootscreen it says something about NIS(Starting NIS services binding to YP Server...) and my IP and some other IP got 3 errors/fails. :(

What is this NIS and can i get over it somehow? I sticks in the loop at the boot and i can't get over that NIS error/fail message...it just prints that message numerous times on the screen.

So does anybody got idea whats wrong? Or should i update/upgrade the system some other way? :?:

I got the newest knoppix(3.4 and it is installed to HDD succefull) version which i have installed 2 times succefull, but i always get this error message when i try to update&upgrade the system.

btw. but after all the knoppix is the best distribution ever!

exterm
06-30-2004, 06:56 AM
All ready mentioned before on the forums here DO A SEARCH FIRST

It was mentioned to you in other posts you made before

apt-get remove nis

Seems as to many people dont search before asking :roll:

ghetto_blaster
06-30-2004, 06:58 AM

ghetto_blaster
06-30-2004, 07:00 AM
which i cannot get over.

I sticks in the loop at the boot and i can't get over that NIS error/fail message...

Well i found that message and i used search, but this NIS message is looping! i Can't get over it. And thats why i cant get to console and remove it.

Thanks anyways for the help :)

exterm
06-30-2004, 07:09 AM
di

ghetto_blaster
06-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Well i can't get to knoppix/debian. It jams on that error message after when it has detected hard-drive,graphic card.
I don't think i can get to console in boot screen...i have tried to get, but it wont work.
Problem is that it jams/loops on the BOOT SCREEN and that is why i can't get to knoppix GUI or console.

ghetto_blaster
07-01-2004, 06:22 AM
I just runned "killdisk" program from floppy and overwrited the whole hard-disk. Now knoppix/debian is up and running and i got to GUI to remove NIS!
Thanks anyways guys :)

dwallace
07-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Hi.. It's my first day trying linux and I'm having this same problem. I tried searching for the answer based on the comment that ghetto had asked it before and been answered, but I can't seem to find it.

If it is the NIS that is causing me grief, how do I get to a place to type the apt-get remove nis?

As ghetto said, I don't get to a prompt.. just goes like normal, then the NIS thing that takes forever, then a black screen/out of range (if I'm on the lcd).

Thanks in advance!

dwallace
07-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I got rid of the NIS. When it was trying to do the ypbind thing I hit ctrl-c, but that didn't seem to do anything. For some reason, though, it didn't boot into the GUI but to a prompt.. so I logged in there and did the apt-get remove nis thing, which seemed to go ok.. then I rebooted.. it didn't do the NIS thing, of course, but still ends up going to a black screen (if I use my crt) or out of range (if on my lcd).

Any ideas?

ghetto_blaster
07-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Well maybe you should also try same as i did and destroy the whole disk and partition it from the beginning.
Btw. does your live version of knoppix work? does it have some kind of problems too? Maybe your knoppix/debian doesnt have drivers for your graphic card or something like that