PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix for web-app demo

Enygma
06-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Hi,

I have a client that wants to be able to demo his new website on his laptop to his clients without using an internet connection.

It's a Java web-app so we need Tomcat, and MySQL for the database.
One of the ideas we came up with was to create a live CD that has Tomcat and MySQL installed. We would need write access somewhere though, tomcat needs to write logs and the changes to the database need to persist, at least for the session.

We could use a USB key to write to but that means he'd have to carry that around with him too and it could break at any time or he could lose it.
We've also thought about writing to the ramdisk. I'd imagine that's the best solution.

Now, I'm completely new to Live CD distros so I'm not really sure if I'm in the right place. How would you go about doing something like this?
Would you bother?

locutus
07-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Why not install everything your client needs on the laptop? After all, it's been installed before on something( since this is a demo ). And unless you are asking someone else to do this for you, you're going to need to install a KNOPPIX/Debian system just to get the ReMastering configured for what you are saying you need.

Regarding losing the USB dongle; I don't quite get that logic either. Your client can lose the laptop, and/or CDROM, and/or car keys, and/or his/her way, etc. Tell him/her to be careful.

IMHO, installing to the HD would be the way I'd go. Unless you plan on using a liveCD for demo'ing this on many many systems.