PDA

View Full Version : Higher screen resolution?

nikkkko
07-01-2004, 06:23 PM
I recently installed Knoppix, (successfully), on to my hard disk and have no problems except that my screen resolution is limited to 1024x768, whereas the 'native' resolution for my monitor, (Hyundai ImageQuest 17"), is 1280x1024. I have tried configuration from the desktop and also the [ xrandr ] command but in both cases 1024x768 is the highest resolution offered. As a newbie, I have almost no idea what I need to do to remedy this.

Any clues?

Thanks

Cuddles
07-01-2004, 06:58 PM
I recently installed Knoppix, (successfully), on to my hard disk and have no problems except that my screen resolution is limited to 1024x768, whereas the 'native' resolution for my monitor, (Hyundai ImageQuest 17"), is 1280x1024. I have tried configuration from the desktop and also the [ xrandr ] command but in both cases 1024x768 is the highest resolution offered. As a newbie, I have almost no idea what I need to do to remedy this.

Any clues?

Thanks

As record reminds me, your monitor is the last thing in the string, whereas, Knoppix, or for that matter, any OS, is the first. What falls between these two things is your video card, which can have a multituide of things that could be keeping your resolution down... From what your saying, your video card must have been able to do this resolution before, but at what color depth? Possibly the card doesn't have enough memory to handle what Knoppix wants it to have, and thus, it down-grades to a lower resolution? Not exactly sure what your resolve is, you might take a look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, I think that is where all monitor settings for what Knoppix "thinks" your hardware can handle...

Not the greatest reply to your issue, but at least it is something,
Ms. Cuddles

DuckDodgers
07-01-2004, 11:24 PM
I am sure there are many other ways to accomplish this, however, this is what did it for me. Open a root shell (from the Knoppix menu) and type in kxconfig and press enter, you should see an option for screen resolution. After selecting the correct resolution, quit and save configuration. From the same root shell type restartx and press enter.

nikkkko
07-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Open a root shell (from the Knoppix menu) and type in kxconfig, you should see an option for screen resolution. After selecting the correct resolution, quit and save configuration.

It's very satisfying when you get a quick, clear and effective response to a question. The solution above worked first time no problems and I am now looking at a crisp, colourful and higher resolution screen than before.

Thank you DuckDodgers.