PDA

View Full Version : Where is the config file to setup my nic card for a fixed IP

iason
07-01-2004, 08:02 PM
I been using RH for the longest time and I have trouble locating the files I need in knoppix, in order to hook up my second computer to my first computer that will act as a ateway.

help? :oops:

Stephen
07-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I been using RH for the longest time and I have trouble locating the files I need in knoppix, in order to hook up my second computer to my first computer that will act as a ateway.

help? :oops:

The file /etc/network/interfaces is where your settings for the card are contained example file below:

For Static settings

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.254

Your nameservers settings would be in the file /etc/resolv.conf example file:

search wolf
nameserver 192.168.1.10
nameserver 192.168.1.34

You only need the one nameserver line the search of your domain and the extra nameserver are not necessary.

The hostname for your computer is set in the file /etc/hostname and that is just one line with the hostname for your computer example:

HappyTux

You would edit these files as root and put in your required settings once you have made the changes /etc/init.d/networking restart as root in a console window to re-start your networking with the new settings or just start if the network is already down.