PDA

View Full Version : 3.4 to hd no cdrom or fd in "user"

Jesse
07-01-2004, 11:35 PM
I have installed Knoppix 3.4 (2.6.6 kernal) to my HD. When I log on as "root" my cdrom and floppy work great. To get it to work I had to change my fstab to: /dev/sr0/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec 0 0.
When I log on as user "jesse" the cdrom and floppy no longer work. I get a error saying "/mnt/cdrom" & "mnt/floppy does not exist". When I look in the /mnt directory I see locks on the floppy and cdrom files. I have been trying to figure this out for day's. Any and all help would be much appreciated.
TIA
Jesse

Markus
07-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Try changing user to users, then type groups as user to see what groups you belong to.
You should have at least users, cdrom and floppy. You can use Kuser to add yourself to groups or as root: adduser jesse groupname. Then logout & back in for the changes to take effect.

BTW, it's better to use su from a console to become root for certain tasks than to log in as root.

Jesse
07-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi Markus, I changed fstab to "users" but it did not work. both my floppy and cdrom will not work in "knoppix user". When in root everything works just fine. Using root, I have a great working desktop. For security reasons I would like to use "Knoppix user".
My setup:
P4 3.4ghz water cooled
512mb ram
3 each 40mb hard drives
Canon i560 printer
Epson 1650 scanner
When I'm in "root" I use Xsane / Gimp 2.0 ..no problem...everything works
great. My DSL line works in both modes. Evidently, Knoppix doesn't want the floppy or cdrom to work in user Knoppix 3.4.

Markus
07-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Hmm, cdrom and floppy are in / and not under mnt/ in debian. Try still checking the fstab and add uid and gid if needed, here's mine for cdrom and floppy:
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto,uid=markus,gid=mar kus 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
If you're trying to access them from the desktop icons, they've at least in the past been faulty and you should delete the icons and make new ones. IIRC the desktop icons had them pointing to mnt and not / where they should be.

Jesse
07-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Marcus: thanks for the info. I will try the uid, and let you know.
Jesse

Markus
07-04-2004, 09:43 PM
If it works with uid and gid set, it's just a permissions problem so you could try:

su
cd /
chgrp cdrom cdrom
chgrp floppy floppy
EDIT: You might do this as well after checking with dmesg|grep CD where your cdrom is attached to:

su
cd /dev
chgrp floppy fd0
chgrp cdrom cdrom
chgrp cdrom scd0 (check if it's right with dmesg|grep scd0
chgrp cdrom sr0 (check with dmesg|grep sr0 , according to your first post it's sr0)