PDA

View Full Version : Remote Desktop

RigorMortis
07-02-2004, 02:48 AM
Ok, so I'm able to connect remotely to my pc from my laptop using either remote desktop or vnc protocol when I boot normally and let the gui startup. But I can't for the life of me get it to work when I just boot up with the Knoppix 2 option so it won't load the gui. I know the network connection is good because I'm able to ftp or run lynx or what have you. But rdesktop or vncviewer always gives me the "Error: Can't open display" or "Error: Failed to open display". Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, anybody?

RigorMortis
07-04-2004, 03:10 AM
anybody???

A. Jorge Garcia
07-04-2004, 04:36 AM
I got sick of remote desktop and vnc. Why not use ssh or sftp or fish? Just start ssh on both machines (or at least on the host PC) at boot up and all is well!

I place the commandline:

/etc/init.d/ssh start

at the end of

/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

to accomplish this.

Regards,
AJG

RigorMortis
07-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the advice, but I was hoping to just use vncviewer or rdesktop. Too much of a pain in the ass to do all that for my cousin who's just trying out the knoppix cd. Anyone know why I keep getting the "failed to open display" error. Anyway to correct this?

RigorMortis
07-16-2004, 02:41 AM
anybody?

A. Jorge Garcia
07-16-2004, 03:38 AM
The reason you're not getting responses is that rdesktop and vncviewer are not very easy to use compared to ssh. Do yourself a favor and try it!

BTW, you don't need to use knoppix-installer to have ssh running. From a liveCD, click the KNOPPIX menu, click services and then click start ssh server. This allows another machine to login into the PC with the ssh server (shd) started via ssh. The remote user can use ssh and sftp from a shell or fish from Konqueror.

Good Luck,
AJG