PDA

View Full Version : Black screen when booting CD

gradnite
07-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I have never had a problem running the 3.4 CD on my notebook computer. However, I cannot get it to work on my cheapy desktop computer.

The desktop doesn't have a graphics card, for it uses onboard graphics. Do you think that is why it does not work? When I boot the CD, I get the initial screen that says Knoppix 3.4, and then when I press "enter" I never see anything again. Of course, on my notebook, after I push enter I see it detecting all the hardware, and then eventually everything is ready. On my desktop, all I ever see is a black screen after I hit enter.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

DuckDodgers
07-02-2004, 09:42 PM
You might need to use the right <u>cheat code</u> (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) or combination of cheat codes. At the boot prompt, try something like," knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600" without the quotation marks.

gradnite
07-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Thanks Duckdodgers.

By using vga=normal I was able to get to one more screen, but then nothing happens after that.

The next screen says "Uncompressing linux...Ok, botting the kernel"

and nothing ever happens after that. I also tried adding pci=biosirq and mem=512M, but nothing worked.

Any ideas? Thanks so much.

gradnite
07-05-2004, 04:53 AM
<deleted repeated post>

pulsar
07-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Try to change the refreshrate of your screen. Something like "vsync=60" or so.

gradnite
07-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Try to change the refreshrate of your screen. Something like "vsync=60" or so.

I think I'm past the screen issues now though because I can now get to the next screen, but nothing happens after the following message:
"Uncompressing linux...Ok, botting the kernel"

What could be the issue? Thanks so much.