PDA

View Full Version : BARNIX UPDATE

sbkryan
07-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Hi

Here is an update on how things are going with BARNIX for the next release which will be 0.3.6

The menu is currently being developed adding links to many of the programs and applications that are in the distrobution, this includes Ettercap, Etherape, SSH Server, XMMS, and many more

Also before this is released i plan on removing all application that are currently installed whih are not needed - this will reduce the size of the iso and allow more room for adding more programs.

I have been looking into making kernels for live CDs - i think i am almost clear on how this is done and am planning on adding a loading screen to the distro to hide the verbose mode. I also am hoping to find and use a way of organising the cd to increase the speed and reduce loading times.

--------------------

Ryan Gosnold
BANIX / DebXPde Developer
Forum ADMIN
Westnold Developments

www.westnold-developments.uk.tt
www.barnix-forum.cjb.net

arkaine23
07-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Info on the splash screen- http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8187&sid=41ba84d738113ff4f40ee71983caa968

You'd also want to edit the default cheatcodes used in isolinux.cfg to make the splash happen by default.

I started tinkering with kernel updates, but then I had to move and there was no time to finish. Seems like you just grab the source, copy the .config from the older kernel, run a config to make sure you've got everything you need, compile it and its modules, and apply the knoppix patch. Make sure you have the most current version of cloop (if you use it) so it will be compatible with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. Make sure the environment you're remastering from has the same cloop version (if you use it) as your remaster. Remove the old kernel image and boot files, edit Lilo as necessary. There's some info about using squashfs instead of cloop floating around. Better compression = faster access due to slow cd-rom rotation speeds.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=overclockix

View all tracked packages and then hit the refresh button in the middle of the page and you can see a pretty good list of some of the packages that I gutted between the current and former versions of Overclockix. I cater to requests for popular desktop software and to stress-testing utils in my project. But the newer things get, the more space they take up. Which means everytime you update your iso, you have to remove a little more stuff from it. :(