PDA

View Full Version : Hdd Install of v3.4 2.6.6 - shopping list of probs

Cuddles
07-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Just got done installing Knoppix (debian-like) v3.4 w/ kernel 2.6.6 - changed lilo to "default" boot to 2.6 kernel, default user was changed to me (cuddles) w/ root.

I made backups of /home, /root, /var, /etc, you name it - all from my previous install ( v3.3 )

And I am having a (few) problems...

1 ) How and where do I set the schema for the root (su) konsole - someone got me this a while back, and I can't search it out, or find the file that made the change - they had suggested using a root konsole instead of changing my logins - and to designate the root konsole I changed the schema from "default" to "GreenOnBlack" - but I can't find the one file that tells konsole to make this one screen that way...

2 ) Either a root login, or a root konsole causes the following error trying to run anything from the CLI -=-

root@Morpheus:/etc# kwrite lilo.conf
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

kwrite: cannot connect to X server :0

This command was kwrite, but I get it with a lot of other commands.

3 ) I tried the "cheat" method of using ALSA on the CD boot, and then doing a knoppix-installer - it appears that alsa is "partially" there, but nothing is in the /proc/asound/cards file - I already disabled Arts, and tried alsa's autoconfig, and even alsa's init - nothing works...

4 ) Along the same lines of alsa - my lilo "append=" line contains the noacpi and noagp and noapm - but it appears in the dmesg output that it is "still" trying to use agp...

5 ) Am I correct in assuming that the Kano's script for NVidia video cards will not work in the new 2.6.6 kernel, and thus the post "currently" in this forum is the "real" way to do an install of a NVidia display card now...

6 ) I succesfully copied and did a chown and chgrp on my "users" mail folder for KMail, upon going into KMail - I have all of my folders and there contents, but no address book, where is this located, and can it be copied from a v3.3 backup into the proper location ( I don't know where ) and have KMail in v3.4 "pick it up"...

7 ) If all I am going to be using is Linux 2.6.6 kernel, can I just remove the LILO entries for LINUX ( set as default ) and the 2.4 - and if so, what would the LILO entry be, the current 2.6.6 entry - which appears to be running in a location outside of where the "default" "Linux" one is running...

8 ) Lastly, I have tried to research this, promise, and nothing is coming up with the command needed to do this - what is the "proper" way to - once and for all - set the time zone - I know about the right-click on the clock, but someone posted the CLI which is supposed to "ensure" it being set and staying that way...

Other than these things being my "big" issues... The experimental kernel is fast, and really slick... I hope to get these "small" things done, and get on with my apt-get installs to what I had when I had v3.3

Thanks to any, and all, for all, and any, assistance - I am extremely greatful...
Ms. Cuddles

eco2geek
07-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Answers to some of your questions (the ones my pea-brain knows :wink: ):

1.) If I understand your question correctly -- You change the schema in Konsole by using the Settings menu, then Schema, choose the one you want (e.g. Green on Black), and then click Settings > Save as Default. It's saved in ~/.kde/share/config/konsolerc as the "schema=GreenOnBlack.schema" entry. (FYI there's a .kde directory in your root folder as well as your normal user folder, so you need to change it as root as well as your normal user.)

2.) The "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server" message has something to do with the X server not allowing your root user access to your display. (More for me to learn here.) Easiest way around it is to back up your /root/.Xauthority file and copy your /home/cuddles/.Xauthority file to /root. It's been posted that using the command line "kdesu commandname" also solves the problem.

3.) The version of Alsa in Knoppix is a version modified by Mr. Knopper -- it's called "knx-alsa" in the package database. (The modules are in /lib/modules/extra/alsa.) Try running /usr/sbin/alsaconf as root (hopefully you have a PCI-based sound card, not an ISA one!).

Cuddles
07-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Answers to some of your questions (the ones my pea-brain knows :wink: ):

1.) If I understand your question correctly -- You change the schema in Konsole by using the Settings menu, then Schema, choose the one you want (e.g. Green on Black), and then click Settings > Save as Default. It's saved in ~/.kde/share/config/konsolerc as the "schema=GreenOnBlack.schema" entry. (FYI there's a .kde directory in your root folder as well as your normal user folder, so you need to change it as root as well as your normal user.)

Nope, appears these files already have the "right" schema entry, and "refuse" to use them, thus, it appears they don't even look at them...

2.) The "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server" message has something to do with the X server not allowing your root user access to your display. (More for me to learn here.) Easiest way around it is to back up your /root/.Xauthority file and copy your /home/cuddles/.Xauthority file to /root. It's been posted that using the command line "kdesu commandname" also solves the problem.

Yep - that did the trick, I did a "copy" from my user account to root, and the command "kwrite [anything]" runs with just the errors: "kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /usr/share/icons/hicolor/... not valid." - but thats ok, I was getting them even since I installed v3.4

3.) The version of Alsa in Knoppix is a version modified by Mr. Knopper -- it's called "knx-alsa" in the package database. (The modules are in /lib/modules/extra/alsa.) Try running /usr/sbin/alsaconf as root (hopefully you have a PCI-based sound card, not an ISA one!).

Nope, no such file under /usr/sbin named alsaconf - I think the card is mounted on the motherboard - its a VIA82xxx - remembered it from v3.3

Good attempt, at least I got my root konsole working... just in case this helps, the konsole I am using for root - the program that is - is "konsole --type su", or "Terminal Program - Super User Mode"

Ms. Cuddles

eco2geek
07-03-2004, 08:17 PM
just in case this helps, the konsole I am using for root - the program that is - is "konsole --type su", or "Terminal Program - Super User Mode"

Aha - try editing the "Schema=" line in /usr/share/apps/konsole/su.desktop instead. (That seemed to have worked on my box.)

Funny that you're spending July 4th installing & configuring Knoppix rather than going out and partying.

Cuddles
07-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Aha - try editing the "Schema=" line in /usr/share/apps/konsole/su.desktop instead. (That seemed to have worked on my box.)

THATS IT :!: -=- I knew it was a "funny" named file, in a remote location, I just couldn't remember where and what it was :D Thanks for that "tid-bit"...

Funny that you're spending July 4th installing & configuring Knoppix rather than going out and partying.

Ah, but then I have choosen my nic correctly - didn't say "what" I cuddle with, did I ??? Ms. Cuddles definately cuddles with Tux :!:

So, here's the score:

1 ) How and where do I set the schema for the root (su) konsole - someone got me this a while back, and I can't search it out, or find the file that made the change - they had suggested using a root konsole instead of changing my logins - and to designate the root konsole I changed the schema from "default" to "GreenOnBlack" - but I can't find the one file that tells konsole to make this one screen that way...

Resolved - Thanks Eco2Geek :D

2 ) Either a root login, or a root konsole causes the following error trying to run anything from the CLI

Resolved - Thanks Eco2Geek :D

3 ) I tried the "cheat" method of using ALSA on the CD boot, and then doing a knoppix-installer - it appears that alsa is "partially" there, but nothing is in the /proc/asound/cards file - I already disabled Arts, and tried alsa's autoconfig, and even alsa's init - nothing works...

Still not working...

4 ) Along the same lines of alsa - my lilo "append=" line contains the noacpi and noagp and noapm - but it appears in the dmesg output that it is "still" trying to use agp...

Still not working...

5 ) Am I correct in assuming that the Kano's script for NVidia video cards will not work in the new 2.6.6 kernel, and thus the post "currently" in this forum is the "real" way to do an install of a NVidia display card now...

Still not working...

6 ) I succesfully copied and did a chown and chgrp on my "users" mail folder for KMail, upon going into KMail - I have all of my folders and there contents, but no address book, where is this located, and can it be copied from a v3.3 backup into the proper location ( I don't know where ) and have KMail in v3.4 "pick it up"...

Still not working...

7 ) If all I am going to be using is Linux 2.6.6 kernel, can I just remove the LILO entries for LINUX ( set as default ) and the 2.4 - and if so, what would the LILO entry be, the current 2.6.6 entry - which appears to be running in a location outside of where the "default" "Linux" one is running...

Still not working...

8 ) Lastly, I have tried to research this, promise, and nothing is coming up with the command needed to do this - what is the "proper" way to - once and for all - set the time zone - I know about the right-click on the clock, but someone posted the CLI which is supposed to "ensure" it being set and staying that way...

Still not working...

Thanks to anyone for any answers to the unresolved issues here, I thank you, my install thanks you, and lastly, my system thanks you...
Ms. Cuddles

mzilikazi
07-04-2004, 02:14 AM
[

[quote]7 ) If all I am going to be using is Linux 2.6.6 kernel, can I just remove the LILO entries for LINUX ( set as default ) and the 2.4 - and if so, what would the LILO entry be, the current 2.6.6 entry - which appears to be running in a location outside of where the "default" "Linux" one is running...

Sure if you have a working kernel then get rid of the old one but be sure that's realy what you want to do. I keep 2 or 3 kernels at all times myself. I don't understand what you mean by "running in a location outside of where the "default" "Linux" one is running.." All kernels are kept in /boot. They may be called 2.4.26-1-686 or it may be symlinked to vmlinuz or otherwise.

ls -al vmlinuz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jun 3 17:31 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.26-mppe-ar

tzconfig

Cuddles
07-04-2004, 03:20 PM
So, here's the UPDATED score:

1 ) RESOLVED

2 ) RESOLVED

Still not working...

Still not working...

Still not working...

Still not working...

Resolved - Thanks Mzilikazi :D

Thanks to anyone for any answers to the unresolved issues here, I thank you, my install thanks you, and lastly, my system thanks you...
Ms. Cuddles

Markus
07-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Not fair, there's only difficult ones left :wink:

I'll just have a go at the thing that's annoying you:

Yep - that did the trick, I did a "copy" from my user account to root, and the command "kwrite [anything]" runs with just the errors: "kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /usr/share/icons/hicolor/... not valid." - but thats ok, I was getting them even since I installed v3.4

su
cd /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
cp index.theme index.desktop
BTW, for the "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server" I think it was mzilikazi who posted doing as user: xhost local:, I just added this to a script my userme runs from ~/.kde/Autostart.

For me it's under the directory card0 which is symlinked from the device:
markus@mrk-fujibox:/proc/asound$ ll
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jul 5 10:33 I82801BAICH2 -> card0
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 card0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 cards
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 modules
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 oss
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 seq
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 timers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 version
markus@mrk-fujibox:/proc/asound/card0$ ll
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 codec97#0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 id
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 intel8x0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 oss_mixer
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm0c
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm0p
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm1c

IIRC the post "currently" in this forum includes compiling a new kernel which would not hurt to do anyway since the stock Knoppix kernel comes with everything and the kitchen sink.
Just download the source, copy the config from /boot and start with make oldconfig. Then just rip out the parts you're sure you don't need.

Cuddles
07-06-2004, 02:07 PM

su
cd /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
cp index.theme index.desktop
BTW, for the "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server" I think it was mzilikazi who posted doing as user: xhost local:, I just added this to a script my userme runs from ~/.kde/Autostart.

Cool - I'll see what happens with what I got already...

For me it's under the directory card0 which is symlinked from the device:
markus@mrk-fujibox:/proc/asound$ ll
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Jul 5 10:33 I82801BAICH2 -> card0
dr-xr-xr-x 6 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 card0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 cards
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 modules
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 oss
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 seq
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 timers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 version
markus@mrk-fujibox:/proc/asound/card0$ ll
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 codec97#0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 id
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 intel8x0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 oss_mixer
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm0c
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm0p
dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Jul 5 10:33 pcm1c

Sorry to say, this one is not the same for me - I don't have the "card0" directory -=- everything in your listing is the same, excluding the card0 folder though - as I sad, it "somehow" appears to be working, just not the way it used to, ( I think I even had the card0 folder in v3.3 - something is "majorly" different about v3.4 )

IIRC the post "currently" in this forum includes compiling a new kernel which would not hurt to do anyway since the stock Knoppix kernel comes with everything and the kitchen sink.
Just download the source, copy the config from /boot and start with make oldconfig. Then just rip out the parts you're sure you don't need.[/quote]

This got resolved - I did have to compile my kernel, add the nvidia source... its working now...

Ms. Cuddles

Cuddles
07-06-2004, 02:23 PM
So, here's the UPDATED - UPDATED score:

1 ) RESOLVED

2 ) RESOLVED

Still not working... no card0 folder - but have sound - go figure...

root@Morpheus:/proc/asound# ls -la
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 .
dr-xr-xr-x 81 root root 0 Jul 5 19:26 ..
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 cards
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 modules
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 oss
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 pcm
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 seq
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 timers
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jul 6 07:47 version
root@Morpheus:/proc/asound#

Still not working... ( assume the noacpi may be causing the alsa? no worries on agp - nvidia is working now! )

RESOLVED - as for Kano, use scripts in Knoppix, if they don't work - your SOL - resolved by kernel source compiling... Thanks Naventus, Miilltek, Shah, and Kelmo... Lastly, to Markus :D

RESOLVED - I used an old "export" of KMail's address book - saved in previous version of Knoppix, as a CSV - I just "import" 'ed it - setup the template, clicked OK, added any new ones I knew about, and POOF...

Question: I compiled my own source kernel to get NVidia working, how does this work? I booted with copies of my 2.6.6 LILO, /boot, config, initd, etc... and added the line into LILO, called this boot 2.6.6pre -=- under that boot, I did the kernel compile, nvidia inclusion, etc... Do I need to use the "...pre" boot because I loaded the compile there, or can I just go back to the 2.6.6 files? ( I am clueless when it comes to LILO and the /boot, and the whole kernel compiling thing )

Ms. Cuddles

Cuddles
07-13-2004, 11:57 AM
So, here's the UPDATED - UPDATED FINAL score:

1 ) RESOLVED

2 ) RESOLVED

3 ) RESOLVED -=- Got ALSA working, trying to get OSS-Emulation going now, but ALSA is working, none-the-less

4 ) RESOLVED - Kind of - noagp doesn't do a thing, nor does noacpi - but ALSA is working, and so is NVidia (even if my motherboard mounted video is head-less...)

5 ) RESOLVED

6 ) RESOLVED

7 ) RESOLVED

8 ) RESOLVED

Thanks to everyone for all answers to resolve issues here, I thank you, my install thanks you, and lastly, my system thanks you...
Ms. Cuddles