PDA

View Full Version : BoOt FloPpY

Juny
03-12-2003, 11:38 PM
im new...and im in the forum posting again...

how can i make my knoppix start without to insert the bootflop everytime?
is it possible to do that or not?

thnx..juny

Loper
03-13-2003, 12:46 AM
How can I make my Knoppix start without (having) to insert the bootflop everytime?

The answer to this question hinges on how -- and how well -- your PC handles booting from CD-ROM.

The quick answer is: go into your BIOS settings (usually under "ADVANCED") and set your "first boot device" to the CD-ROM, then second device as floppy or hard drive (sometimes labeled "IDE-0"), depending upon how you use it...

But there are cases where this isn't practical, including machines that can't be set to boot from CD or machines that take forever to boot from the hard drive when set this way.

In that case, check out Smart Boot Manager at http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ which provides a small boot-loader that can essentially bypass the BIOS. Let us know if this helps!

rickenbacherus
03-13-2003, 01:12 AM
how can i make my knoppix start without to insert the bootflop everytime?

Did you install it to the hard drive?

rickenbacherus
03-13-2003, 01:33 AM
After reading your other post I see that you DID install it to the hard drive. To boot without the floppy you need to install a bootloader. LILO is already there, it just needs to be put in the right place. If you only have 1 hard drive then edit your /etc/lilo.conf to read like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19-xfs
label=linux
root=/dev/hda?
read-only

Replace the '?' with whatever partition you want to boot.
Then just rerun lilo like this:

/sbin/lilo

it should boot without the floppy then.

Juny
03-13-2003, 09:04 AM
thnx u people i thank u for ur time, i like that..greetz juny :)