PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX on hda1

A. Jorge Garcia
07-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Lately, I've only used dual-boot solutions with lilo in the mbr via knoppix-installer. Is there anything special about setting up a machine with just one partition only for KNOPPIX?

Imagine that, I'm about to enter the world of Linux without WIMxP or any over form of windoze! Do I even need lilo?

OOO, scarry, isn't it.

TIA,
AJG

mzilikazi
07-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Lately, I've only used dual-boot solutions with lilo in the mbr via knoppix-installer. Is there anything special about setting up a machine with just one partition only for KNOPPIX?

Imagine that, I'm about to enter the world of Linux without WIMxP or any over form of windoze! Do I even need lilo?

OOO, scarry, isn't it.

TIA,
AJG

Sure you need lilo or another boot loader. You can actually edit .knofig (the installers config file) so that it installs grub instead of lilo. Congrats on the move from wimpdoze. May the source be with you.

A. Jorge Garcia
07-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Well the first year I used KNOPPIX, I went with a class set of liveCDs for my students (including a boot floppy and a data floppy)!

The following year I used the poormans' install on a wimpdoze partition.

This last year I went with a dual boot.

It is time!

Thanx,
AJG

PS: I did have a hd-install of Slackware for several years before KNOPPIX came on the scene. Thank God it did when it did 'cause my hdds were failing....