PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX on hda1?

A. Jorge Garcia
07-03-2004, 09:53 PM
SORRY - I posted this in general when it should have been under hdd install:

Lately, I've only used dual-boot solutions with lilo in the mbr via knoppix-installer. Is there anything special about setting up a machine with just one partition only for KNOPPIX (instead of wimpdoze on hda1 and knoppix on hda2)?

Imagine that, I'm about to enter the world of Linux without WIMxP or any over form of windoze on the same machine!

BTW, do I even need lilo?

OOO, scarry, isn't it.

TIA,
AJG

Cuddles
07-04-2004, 12:06 AM
SORRY - I posted this in general when it should have been under hdd install:

Lately, I've only used dual-boot solutions with lilo in the mbr via knoppix-installer. Is there anything special about setting up a machine with just one partition only for KNOPPIX (instead of wimpdoze on hda1 and knoppix on hda2)?

Imagine that, I'm about to enter the world of Linux without WIMxP or any over form of windoze on the same machine!

BTW, do I even need lilo?

OOO, scarry, isn't it.

TIA,
AJG

AJ,

First thing, I have done the /dev/hda1 thing, twice - first time was with v3.3, and now with v3.4 - it is NICE not worrying about another OS (other than Knoppix) booting....

Second thing - YES - YES - YES - You NEED LILO or GRUB, even if you don't have menu choices like two OS's - I made the mistake on v3.3 saying NO to LILO - the system didn't boot - You need at least ONE BOOT LOADER ( take my "learned" advice on this one :!: )

So... Ya going into Linux/Knoppix with BOTH FEET huh??? It is nice, I would never go back, even as a dual-boot...

Good Luck, my friend,
Ms. Cuddles

A. Jorge Garcia
07-04-2004, 04:26 AM
Yup, the only reason I still do dual boot as the other users in the house or in my school still use the unnamed OS!

Regards,
AJG