PDA

View Full Version : Installing VMWare 3.2 Client in Knoppix Question -

lindleyrl
03-13-2003, 01:48 AM
I am trying to install VMware client in Knoppix (TAR file) ; however, I am getting a permission denied error. I am doing the install from the CD based. I am trying to learn the installation of my first program. And yes, I am running the install as root.

(root@Knoppix:/mnt/hda1/Temp/VMware_Linux/VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230/vmware-distrib#) cd /tmp
(root@Knoppix:/tmp#) ./vmware-install.pl
bash: ./vmware-install.pl: Permission denied

I am thinking that because this is CD based that the install is failing because there is no real HD to install to. I just though it would run the install in RAM Disk. According to the doc, the application will install to various location on /USR directories. Isn't the /USR directory mounted for virtual install?

If I try to run the RPM based install this is the error I get -

</VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
RESULT=1

Please clarify. Thanks. :shock:

WANDr
03-14-2003, 05:56 PM
I am trying to install VMware client in Knoppix (TAR file) ; however, I am getting a permission denied error. I am doing the install from the CD based. I am trying to learn the installation of my first program. And yes, I am running the install as root.

(root@Knoppix:/mnt/hda1/Temp/VMware_Linux/VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230/vmware-distrib#) cd /tmp
(root@Knoppix:/tmp#) ./vmware-install.pl
bash: ./vmware-install.pl: Permission denied

I am thinking that because this is CD based that the install is failing because there is no real HD to install to. I just though it would run the install in RAM Disk. According to the doc, the application will install to various location on /USR directories. Isn't the /USR directory mounted for virtual install?

If I try to run the RPM based install this is the error I get -

</VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
RESULT=1

Please clarify. Thanks. :shock:

Your assumption seems logical to me. You have no place to put it especially if you are low on RAM. Your windows partitions are write protected by default.