PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia kernel 2.6.6 crash - help

Cuddles
07-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Ok, Knoppix v3.4, kernel 2.6.6, NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 rev a3...

In an attempt to get my video working, I have brought down my system, and am now stuck in a text login screen - with reported errors from nvidia driver modules not being able initialize...

My attempt was to get Kano's script for nvidia - having more choices than knowledge - downloaded the install-nvidia-debian.sh, install-nvidia-5336-debian.sh, and the install-nvidia-6106-debian.sh...

Not sure which one I was "supposed" to run, I ran just the "install-nvidia-debian" -=- it ran fine, no errors, problems, and then rebooted...

I got to a login ( text mode ), logged in as root, and tried startkde ( no good, it died ), tried startx ( it died too, got the nvidia errors ) -=- and now I am stuck in text mode - no internet - no video - no GUI...

Help, I am desperate here - just got EVERYTHING installed, except a working ALSA - and just needed my nvidia working - and now I am dead...
Waiting on-line for assistance,
Ms. Cuddles

fingers99
07-05-2004, 03:30 AM
Dunno what's up, but last time I put on nvidia I used the stuff oin the nvidia site: it worked a treat.

champagnemojo
07-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Well, I wish I could help you Cuddles. But I don't use 2.6, so I don't know what the difference is there. Also with 2.4, I always use one of the specific driver scripts...i.e. one of the ones with the driver number...I've never tried the "install-nvidia-debian" one. Ask Kano over on his forum about this...seems like he might could be of assistance.

Cuddles
07-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Well, I wish I could help you Cuddles. But I don't use 2.6, so I don't know what the difference is there. Also with 2.4, I always use one of the specific driver scripts...i.e. one of the ones with the driver number...I've never tried the "install-nvidia-debian" one. Ask Kano over on his forum about this...seems like he might could be of assistance.

I tried that too, after being defeated with the "generic" install, I tried the "6106" one, but that one screamed about "kernel sources" - I haven't a clue what I am doing here -=- and it appears I don't have those, or what those are, or where they are, or which ones those are, etc...

I don't know what to do here...

Last things I can see on my boot text screen, have something to do with via_agp already being installed... and then the nvidia errors because it is already in use by this via_agp -=- my guess is -=- my motherboard video card is "getting in the way?" - I have never been able to disable this card within the BIOS, but Knoppix v3.3 lived with it "and" NVidia at the same time...

Any help ???
Ms. Cuddles

Cuddles
07-05-2004, 06:43 PM
I registered, and posted over at Kano's site - not much help...

Response on using his "install-kernel-source-vanilla" and then "install-nvidia-6106-debian" scripts and getting this same result was:

Install Kanotix...
Install Source-vanilla script...
Install Nvidia-6106-debian script...

No Knoppix support here...
[ end of quote ]

Here is a follow-up on problem ( after doing the above )
Maybe someone HERE has a clue what to do next...

Knoppix v3.4 ( kernel 2.6.6 ) hard drive installed
Nvidia NV17 GeForce 4 MX 440 ( rev a3 ) -=- on AGP card slot.
Via KT133 -=- on-motherboard AGP -=- I have no way of disabling this through the BIOS.
View Sonic View Panel VA700 monitor - using VSC700 driver ( i think )

Above worked perfectly with Kano's 5336 script, nothing has changed on system, other than the new install of Knoppix...

I have a "noagp" in the "append=" line of LILO - worked in previous install, doesn't appear to be doing anything in v3.4 now...

I have a "rmmod agppart" - i think its the right module name - it was used in v3.3 also - at the bottom of my /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh file - but I don't think its doing anything either...

When I did the Kano's source and 6106 scripts... source script was fine, the 6106 script did report the following error:

make[1]:
***** unable to determine the target kernel version *****

and I think it died ??? errored out ?????

My textual boot screen, shows the following, maybe this can be of help to someone, in helping to resolve... ( this is what my boot is currently doing now )

ERROR: module agppart is in use by via_agp
starting hotplug subsystem:
...via_agp: already loaded
[ text login ]

I can't get into KDE, it tries during boot, to go into graphics login screen, but then fails back to this textual login...

I am seriously having fun here, and this being the LAST thing I needed to get installed and working since my Friday starting all of this "install from gutted system" v3.4 project...

Any help, any one, please...
Ms. Cuddles

Cuddles
07-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Due to the problems I am having with 2.6.6 and NVidia - system booting under a hard drive install...

This topic has been "migrated" into the HDD Install Forum.

Thank you,
Ms. Cuddles