PDA

View Full Version : How do I install porgrams on Knoppix 3.4?

chain
07-04-2004, 10:26 PM
I am trying to install synaptic app on knoppix. What program do I uses to install program that are *.rpm extensions.

mzilikazi
07-05-2004, 12:57 AM
You don't. Use apt-get instead. Read:
http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638&sid=2fbbd4676f03ac1011df43561c4e44b3

You can use .rpm's but usually it isn't necessary. For that you would use alien to convert the .rpm to .deb format.

exterm
07-05-2004, 09:33 AM
If you have a hard drive installl Run apt-get update <it gives you a updated list of apps from your Sources?

Su to Root or open a root Konsole to do this first

Then run apt-get install synaptic it should add it to you menus if all go's well

Then to add programs just refresh synaptic and add edit remove apps that way makes it alot simpler if your a Gui person and allows you to decide what you dont and do want :D

Beware of dependancys and since removing something might remove more then just one app

BTW Read the how to on updating your Sources.list since you might have to change that if you recently Downloaded Knoppix just do a search of the forums on sources.list first

If you want to run a stable system i would stick to Deb.s my sources list contains over 17000 apps and i usally find a deb if i need anything.[/b]