PDA

View Full Version : Why is apache running + is there a fast debain distro?

Zerro
07-06-2004, 12:44 AM
I have Knoppix 3.4 on the HD and I apt-get upgrade often.

When I shut down the text that scrolls by says something about shutting down apache. apache

1. this isnt normal, is it?
2. how do i check to see if apache is really running?
3. is this a sign that i might have been cracked? /standard paranoia
4. if this is just a stupid default, who do i blame, knoppix or debian?

Even if this isn't a security issue, its defiantly a bloat issue. I'm fighting to get my system reasonably responsive on my not-that-old hardware. I figure if apache is starting when it boots then who knows what else is starting up.

What is the fastest debian based distro suitable for desktop use? I want anything with trivially easy package installation and vector-linux caliber speed.

mzilikazi
07-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Hmmm sounds like you opened an email attatchment and got a trojan that is spreading itself like wildfire across the internet. Fortunately this isn't wimpdoze and that's not at all what's happening. This is a relatively minor thing. Perhaps you started apache while on cd and your settings were saved to hdd install? I dunno.

Is it running?

ps aux|grep apache

Want it to stop launching on boot?

update-rc.d -f apache remove

Note that this does not remove apache but rather the symlinks to apache from the run levels.

What's faster about vector? Is it really the distro or more likely your desktop environment. ;)

Fire up synaptic and search for xfce4 & all of its plugins and such. It's fast and last time I saw Vector (while ago) it used xfce.

Markus
07-06-2004, 11:53 AM
AFAIK all services on the hd will get added to the runlevels as the packages are upgraded, so you should check while upgrading the text scrolling by. Don't know if you can do it with synaptic, never used it. So it's not a bug, it's a debian feature. :wink:
Remove them with: apt-get --purge remove packagename, and do doublecheck before removing anything you might need.

aay
07-06-2004, 02:55 PM
AFAIK all services on the hd will get added to the runlevels as the packages are upgraded.

Hmm. Is this true? It's quite interesting if it is and kind of a pain.

Markus
07-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Well, I said AFAIK and I'm definitely not an expert in this area either :D
I've just noticed this happening when I do and apt-get upgrade, and no, I don't like much either.
Hopefully someone who knows for sure will shed some light on this. I've just solved it by purging the services/servers I don't need.
EDIT: Thought I saw it somewhere http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html#s3.6 under 3.6.1 Disabling daemon services

monkymind
07-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Another quick way to find out what services are running (or available) - and also start/stop them too is:

apt-get install rcconf

Runs in a terminal, konsole etc

Package Description:
This tool configures system services in connection with system runlevels. It turns on/off services using the scripts in /etc/init.d/. Rcconf works with System-V style runlevel configuration. It is a TUI frontend to the update-rc.d command.