PDA

View Full Version : Hoorah! 3.4 (2.6.6) fantastic working desktop configured.

Jesse
07-07-2004, 04:50 AM
After many tries, I now have a great Knoppix Debian desktop. I will be 70 in a few months, and decided to build my ultimate machine for my birthday (this is also my 7th computer I have built). I'm using a P4 2.8 ghz (800mhz FSB) over clocked to 3.4 ghz, water cooled...very quiet. 3 each 40mb hard drives, Radeon video, Epson 1650 scanner, Canon i560 printer, 19" monitor, DSL. The system is very fast. Anyone can put all that hardware together if they know how to use a phillips head, and pliers. What makes me feel good is being able to put together a XP competitive desktop using Knoppix/Debian (3.4-2.6.6 kernal). And use all my hardware. I did use a commercial driver for my Canon printer (Turboprint), which is very easy to install. I use latest Sane Backend, and Xsane & Gimp 2.0 for my scanner. I took me a while to get the CD/RW (Liteonit) working. I ended up using KSCD...works great. I use Mozilla Firefox for my browser, which is so much better than MS internet explorer. Kmail is my email client. I just wanted to write this to let all you know how much I appreciate everyone who participates on this web and a special thanks to Knoppix for allowing me and everyone else to use Debian the way it should be experienced. I have not used XP now for a week, and feel free, free , free. My wife thinks I'm nuts. She keeps screaming "I'm a computer widow". She has been saying that since 1985 when I was buried in my room trying to learn DOS. Thanks to all....Jesse