PDA

View Full Version : USB With Failsafe Boot

End_User
07-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi

Being new to knoppix, im using it for the first time, and i can only say good things about it.

My problem is i want to boot with the failsafe open and to detect my usb pendisk. Is it possible? if so what is the command?

Thank you :)

mzilikazi
07-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Try to figure out what it is that's forcing you to boot w/ failsafe. Try to use a more specific cheatcode like acpi=off or noscsi or ??

How far does the disc boot without using failsafe? What hardware do you have? Details man it's all in the details. ;)

End_User
07-08-2004, 08:42 AM
When i try to use only the knoppix boot it decompress only two files (cant remenber the name of the last one but iŽll check) and the screen goes black, then i tried to boot again with failsafe and it all goes well.

Im using it on a laptop with a WinXP Pro instalation on the c:\ root, its a Duron 1000, with 384ram and a 20gig hdd, i have 3gigs left on the c:\ partition so i assumed (maybe wrong) knoppix would decompress using this space, i know linux needs a swap (i read linux normally only needs a 500mb) file to work, i can put one up along with 1gig of free space on a new partition if needed, but how can i select this partition on the boot to select it? Excuse the mixed questions/answering stuff.

mzilikazi
07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
When i try to use only the knoppix boot it decompress only two files (cant remenber the name of the last one but iŽll check) and the screen goes black, then i tried to boot again with failsafe and it all goes well.

Yes please do check. Try booting like so:

knoppix screen=1600x1200 xvrefresh=60 vga=normal

You could even try w/out using vga=normal.

i know linux needs a swap (i read linux normally only needs a 500mb) file to work, i can put one up along with 1gig of free space on a new partition if needed, but how can i select this partition on the boot to select it? Excuse the mixed questions/answering stuff.

It is not mandatory that you have a swap file or partition. You could easily create a swap partition however. Create your partition then make it a swap partition like so:

mkswap /dev/hda3
swapon /dev/hda3