PDA

View Full Version : hda1 full - how come? Help!

royston
07-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Last year August, I installed Knoppix on my HDD. Great! Disk size is 2.8 GB, and was about 70% full (if I remember it correctly).

All this time, I used it as a local web server with the webroot on the hda6 partition. I put my php files on this partition. Free space: 6GB on an 8 GB hdd.

It was great, until hda1 went full this week! Less than a few K free space! Of course, sessions can't be written anymore, etc. How could this happen? I installed nothing after the initial install! BTW, the tmp dir is quite tidy.

My question is: what kind of files could have been written on the hdd? And how do I clean up the disk, 'cause I cannot detect anything strange on the hdd. PROC is large as well, how do I purge this? And how can I prevent this for the future?

TIA,
Royston

mzilikazi
07-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Is /var/log taking up alot of space?

du -ch /var/log

You can get rid of alot of files in there. For example you probably do not need any logs that end w/ 0 or .gz.

For example I have these logs:
kern.log
kern.log.0
kern.log.1.gz

It would be perfectly fine to remove kern.log.0 & kern.log.1.gz

royston
07-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, this took care of 3 MB of space... at least that is better than nothing. However, I have still 1 GB or so to go...

Thanx anyway for your answer. But where did the other gigabyte of rubbish come from? And, for instance, how do I delete the /proc/ directory?

Royston

mzilikazi
07-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Not sure if I was clear on this or not. You can delete ALL old logs in /var/log.

/proc is a dynamicly generated file system don't try to delete it. Use cron to automatically delete those old logs for you.