PDA

View Full Version : i2c with Knoppix v3.4 ( kernel 2.6.6 )

Cuddles
07-08-2004, 01:52 PM
This past weekend, I planned to install the new Knoppix v3.4, with kernel 2.6.6, onto my hard drive... That worked perfectly, I think the new knoppix-installer is great, a deffinate coding "work of art"...

Now, I am going through all the configurations... One that has me puzzled though...

I had ( in v3.3 ) GKrelM running for sensors, with backgrounded lmsensors and i2c running to provide the "grunt" work... In the documentation of lmsensors, it made note that if you have kernel versions from 2.6.x or higher, the i2c is ALREADY included in the kernel, and that you DON'T use the i2c prodivded by lmsensors -=- my question...

I installed lmsensors and GKrelM, and they appear to be working, except I can't get the sensors for CPU and CASE temps, or the FAN RPM's - I would bet these "sensors" come from the i2c support - so, if kernel 2.6.6 has i2c in it, how do I get it going, because it appears it isn't at this time???

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ms. Cuddles

arkaine23
07-08-2004, 04:10 PM
It may be that the module is not compiled in the kernel or that it is just not being loaded. Support is built in to the kernel, but that doesn't mean it is being used. Also, there is (or was) a need to configure the lm-sensors utility to detect your particular hardware's sensors.

kelmo
07-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Even though i2c is built in, you can still build newer modules against your kernel.