PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Installing Software

ikkenorsk
07-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi All,

Im trying to install my own dsl providers pppoe software. I run its install script (./go) , and get the following at the end of the install.
I boot from the cd, no HD install, and am sure im logged in as root as
you can see. Is this software install only possible with a HD install ? I am a beginner with knoppix\linux ..so if you could shed some light on how to get this to properly install it would be appreciated!.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
root@ttyp0[rp-pppoe-3.5]#
pppoe pppoe-server pppoe-sniff pppoe-relay
Type 'make' to compile the software.
Running make...
Type 'make install' as root to install the software.
Running make install...
Type 'make install' as root to install the software.
mkdir -p /usr/sbin
/usr/bin/install -c -m 755 -s pppoe /usr/sbin
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove `/usr/sbin/pppoe': Read-only file system
make: *** [install] Error 1
Oops! It looks like make install failed.
root@ttyp0[rp-pppoe-3.5]#
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

probono
07-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi,

it should not be neccessary to use the provider's software, just set up the settings in the Knoppix menu and you should be fine. DSL software is part of Knoppix.

probono

ikkenorsk
07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi,

it should not be neccessary to use the provider's software, just set up the settings in the Knoppix menu and you should be fine. DSL software is part of Knoppix.

probono

Yes, I thought that should work fine..but havent managed sucessfully yet. Finds everything perfectly and I enter my Login\pwd .. then i setup the Ethernet card, choose DHCP ..then pon dsl-provider - but still cant ping anything. Unless there is something obviously wrong im doing..i will keep on reading the docs =)

cheers!