PDA

View Full Version : How do I get into KDE?

totenengle
07-09-2004, 12:53 AM
I installed knoppix with "knoppix-installer" with the beginer setting, and everything loaded fine, but when I start knoppix all i get is the command prompt. How do I get into KDE or whatever?

DuckDodgers
07-09-2004, 03:12 AM
Try typing startx and press the enter key.

totenengle
07-14-2004, 01:01 AM
thanks for the help. I found that it was because when I installed I did it from the command prompt only feature on the disk, so that's all I got. I fixed it though. I have found another problem though, after using the cd burning app I have not been able to login to my account. It doesn't give me the "failed" message. It acts as if it is going in, and then just goes back into the login prompt without ever actually getting in. I have reinstalled a coupple of times and I get the same problem. I have also tried deleting the user from the root account (which works) and making a new account (with the same name, and different names) but it does the same thing.

DuckDodgers
07-14-2004, 09:43 PM
If you are referring to kdm login, click the menu button and check that session type is kde.

totenengle
07-15-2004, 01:07 AM
I tried all of tkhe login types, and the only one that works is the command prompt.

DuckDodgers
07-16-2004, 01:11 AM
I am not sure what else for you to try. What steps did you take when you reinstalled knoppix? Just a guess, you might want to try deleting the linux partitions and recreate them before reinstalling to hdd.